Heating

I'm changing the taps in my bathroom so I've got to turn the water off under the sink , obviously. Will this stop the central heating from working or does it work off a different supply. We have 2 tanks in the loft one big and one small which I think.is the header tank.

Sorry if this a stupid question only that I need the heating on as the baby isn't well.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Reply to
kram

If as you say you have 2 cisterns in the loft then the heating and domestic water supplies are separate. Turning off the mains inlet water supply will not affect the heating. The valve under the sink will probably just turn the water off to the cold tap; there will be a separate valve for the hot water. This valve will likely be beside the hot water cylinder. It you cannot find the hot water valve then you will either have to turn off the supply to the large cistern in the loft and drain it down or tie up the ball valve in it and again drain it down. Turning off the mains inlet water supply will of course stop the flow into this cistern so you can then drain it down, best of all though is to find the hot water valve. When you say the sink I assume you mean the kitchen sink. There should be valves under the wash basin in the bathroom enabling you to disconnect the taps there.

Reply to
Stewart

Actually, that won't turn off the hot water, and possibly not the cold in the bathroom either.

First, check to see if there's an isolating valve in the pipework under the sink. If not, you'll have to turn off the outlets from the larger header tank. These will probably be gate valves in the airing cupboard, one on the pipe going into the bottom of the hot water cylinder, but I can't say where the other will be in your installation. Gate valves often won't completely turn off, so you might be left with a slow trickle. Sometimes turning on another tap in the house will divert this trickle to it instead. Be sure not to turn off any valves relating to the heating system, some of which might be adjusted to specific positions partway between fully on and fully off.

It works off the small header tank, and will continue working providing you don't touch any valves relating to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel