Grout

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of 'mix your own' over ready mixed (or vice versa). I have always mixed my own but I am now thinking of changing to ready mixed so that the mix is uniform and consistent. Also when mixing grout the packet instructions never seem to be correct. The last lot I did last week said "3 to 4 parts grout to 1 part water by volume", even using the same measuring cup the grout would not mix to a useable consistency without adding more water. Keeping a careful eye on how much water I was adding, to get to a useable mix it was nearer 2 parts grout to 1 water.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

professionals use mix you own, I found i got a much better finish with it (costs a bit for good stuff though)

Reply to
Vass

I've found the mix your own to be much better than the ready mixed stuff. Apart from anything else it seems to have much less air bubbles in it so you don't have to go over it 10 times to fill all the gaps. I go for around 3:1 and then add a bit more grout while mixing to get it 'slightly' stiffer. Works great for me!

Andy

Reply to
Pecanfan

Yep mix your own is a lot better and gives a more professional finish IMH= O.

Don't go for the 2 part Epoxy resin stuff though, it is a nightmare to=20 work with.

--=20 =AE=D6=D0 Remove spamtrap to reply.

Reply to
Rod

Don't go for the 2 part Epoxy resin stuff though, it is a nightmare to work with.

The Epoxy resin grout is indeed difficult to work with, but if you mask things off and are careful, it gives a very good result. It's particularly good on tiled work surfaces and the tiles in shower cubicles. I won't suggest using it for a whole bathroom though. The resin colouring agents are also very good, but you have to make sure that you measure things out correctly.

j.

Reply to
John