Flooring Problems

Hi, am hoping someone can help me with a flooring query. Here is my logic (or madness!!) I am in the process of updating my ensuite, which has chipboard tongue/groove flooring, and I need to reroute some plumbing. Also I have found that the chipboard is water damaged in a couple of places . Therefore some of the chipboard flooring has to come up to provide me with access and to allow for repair. Now as I wish to lay ceramic tiles, I thought that rather than lay plywood on top of the chipboard (which is what is recommended) it might be better to just rip it all up and replace it with thicker plywood. My logic is I get all the access I want, I don't have to repair the damaged sections and the overall floor thickness should be reduced, as compared to chipboard + ply. Is this an acceptable practice and if so what thickness of plywood would I require? Also it raises another problem. On three of the four sides of the ensuite is a partition wall which is built on top of the flooring. What is the best method to remove the chipboard, right upto the partitions? I'm at a loss as to how I can get close enough to make a neat job.

I hate chipboard!!! Floorboards were so much easier

Hope someone has some ideas / suggestions that might help

Reply to
IED

Talked to a few people and it looks like it is OK to use 18mm WBP plywood instead of the chip board and to tile direct to that with BAL flexible adhesive. Looks like I'll have to just cut it all out with a flooring saw.

Reply to
IED