Drilling hole in benchtop (2023 Update)

I need to drill a 80 cm hole in the benchtop , the underside is wood material . I have a diamond holesaw for the stone top but this is not recommended fo the wooden part at the bottom as it will burn, how to get around this ? If I change to a regular holesaw , and start from the top ? have to drill a pilot hole in the centre of the stone first , if I start at the bottom , hard to match the top cut from the diamond holesaw. Is there one holesaw that can cut cut through both material neatly ?

Reply to
P W

Drilling a hole through a benchtop can be a bit tricky, especially when there are multiple materials involved. Here are a couple of options for you to consider:

  1. Starting from the top: If you use a regular holesaw to drill through the stone top, you can then use a Forstner bit or a hole saw for wood to finish the hole from the bottom. This way you can avoid using the diamond holesaw on the wooden underside, which could cause burning. But you will have to drill a pilot hole in the center of the stone first to start the holesaw. This method is less precise, but it will still give you a clean cut.
  2. Using a multi-material hole saw: Some hole saws are specifically designed to cut through multiple materials, such as wood, metal, and tile. These hole saws typically have a diamond-coated edge for cutting through harder materials like stone, and a separate edge for cutting through softer materials like wood. This might be the best option for you because it can cut through both materials neatly and you will only need one holesaw.

Regardless of which option you choose, make sure to use plenty of cutting oil or water to keep the hole saw cool and lubricated, and work slowly and carefully to avoid any damage. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

On 20/01/2023 09:31, HomeOwnersHub Advisor wrote: <snip>

He's probably worked out in the last year how to fix his problem. There's no point in responding to something that old.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris