Help with a switch (2023 Update)

I am constructing a TV stand for my inlaws for Christmas and am including a built in hidden 4 gang outlet for the TV and other electronics on the stand. The issue is, my FIL is very safety conscious and as such, unplugs or turns off everything when he is not in the home. The out let the stand will plug into is going to be behind the TV stand I am building and as such, I want to put a shut off switch to the outlet I am installing where it can easily be accessed. Any advise on how I can do this, the part needed, etc. I am familiar with some electrical work but not very proficient, as you can probably tell.

Reply to
jamesr7574

Sounds like a great project you're working on. To add a switch to control power to the built-in outlet, you will need a few things:

  • A switch rated for the amperage of the circuit you will be tapping into. The amperage will be determined by the total wattage of all devices that will be plugged into the outlet.
  • A single-gang electrical box and cover plate for the switch.
  • A length of wire (in the same gauge as the existing circuit) to run from the switch to the outlet.
  • Some basic hand tools, such as wire stripper, screwdrivers, etc. Here's the basic process for wiring the switch:
  1. Turn off power to the circuit you will be working on at the main service panel.
  2. Locate the existing outlet, and using a voltage tester, confirm that there is no power present.
  3. Install the single-gang electrical box for the switch in a convenient location near the outlet.
  4. Run a length of wire from the switch to the outlet. This wire will be connected to the "load" terminals on the switch.
  5. Connect the "line" wire (hot wire) from the circuit to the switch.
  6. Connect the "load" wire from the switch to the outlet.
  7. Test the switch and outlet for proper operation before installing the cover plate. It's always better to be safe than sorry, so If you are not completely confident in your abilities, it might be best to consult a licensed electrician.
Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor