Door hanging problem

Can someone please tell me how to cure a door that will not stay open at the position that it is left; it insists on opening fully from every position (other than when it is left completely closed).

Although I have re-hung quite a few doors in my time this one has me licked. I have tried all kinds of slight adjustments to the hinges but I just can't find how to overcome the problem.

I am sure there is a very simple way of deciding what I have done wrong but I don't know the secret!

Many thanks

Eric

Reply to
Cire

Have you tried a spirit level to check that it is vertical? What type of hinges does it have, plain joint hinges or rising?

Reply to
Codswallop

check the hinge leg of thedoor frame for plumb and that the hinges arent falling butts

henry

Reply to
im

The hinges are plain joint type and I did wonder if a spirit level might tell me something but, stupidly, never tried it. You can see I am not a chippie by trade!

Many thanks for reply.

Reply to
Cire