door hanging

Hi folks,

Finally got a pair of pine doors from Everyone's Favourite Shed (*cough*) that didn't warp after being stored and painted flat on a flat floor in flatland and got 'em hung yesterday. Problem is, while they both match heightwise (I was v.chuffed at that :) the left hand one can be seen to be straining its lower 2 hinges during the last inch or so of closing, so obviously they're ever-so-slightly out of alignment.

How can I make such a small adjustment of the hinges without having to drill/dowel the holes and start again?

Ta!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Loosen the screws a little bit ?

;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

What do you mean? The hinges or the doors? How is the hinge straining?

To make a small adjustment on a hinge, you remove the screws in the leaf that is set into the door frame -to see which, if any will send it home. Choose one that will give you the most room. Replace it without screwing it fully home. Then put the others in at an angle that will take the hinge with them when tightened. Voila.

(I should have been a rocket scientist.)

Reply to
Michael McNeil

I didn't use butt hinges though, rather the ones that fold in on themselves....can't remember the name but they're surface mounted. If you push the door until it's shut you can see the bottom 2 hinges moving with the door a tiny bit.....it's difficult to explain.

Basically you shouldn't see lateral movement on the hinge, so it's acting like it's fully closed and I'm trying to make it move further so it's pulling away from the frame. Does that make sense?

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

I had this problem so I cut the door up and burnt it in the garden. ;-) Problem solved.

It's a walk in cupboard now.

I fiddled with the hinges for ages but couldn't figure out what was causing them to close as you describe when the door was going back where it had already been hung.

Put my door hanging off until much later...

Mark S.

Reply to
mark

I think I'll cheat and stick a v.thin bit of packing underneath the hinge to give it the extra bit of space it needs....

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

This is what I did the other day. Worked a treat. This is the fourth I've hung and it went well, well apart from the packing. The first I did, I recessed the hinges *perfectly*, I mean like a dream, looked like they'd just sunk smoothly into the door. Went to fit it - hinges...on...wrong...side...of...door...

Reply to
David

hehehe, the first one I did of the 4 was like that :) Normally it wouldn't have been a problem but the 'rear' of the door has a nasty blemish on one of the panels. That's what we get from buying cheap-ass doors I suppose.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

The hinges move away from the door/frame.

What I did, is pack up behinf the hige with buts of a cornflakes box.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Revisiting it today to finish off I spent a while with bits of cardboard and very thin perspex type stuff and decided the hinge actually needs to be butted into the frame by about 1mm, so I'm putting up with the very small movement involved instead. It might fail in a few years time, but by then I'll be more skilled :)

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy