Best french doors for garden studio/workshop

I'm having an artists workshop built in tanelised timber - shiplap on a concrete base. I have a company supplying and building the wooden building but would love advice about where to get some decent wooden framed french doors.

Would like double glazing with two floor to ceiling picture windows either side. Total span of wall is 5m, so anything that spans more than half of this is good. The studio is a simple wooden structure, so doors need to be attractive, durable, but NOT expensive urban cool/ designer and definitely NO PVC. The climate is coastal, but the studio is sheltered, so I imagine painted softwood would be fine - altho hardwood better. I'm confused about what is best - some doors come with frames and glazing, others without. The price differences can be massive.

Any advice on good off-the-peg retailers and what to buy would be great!

Thank you

Geraldine

Reply to
Geraldine

I can't give a supplier but I can give some advice based on a ex-client of mine who had a similar installation in a coastal area. She converted a large stone built store room at the end of her garden into a studio and installed a bog-standard softwood french door with too full length narrow windows eitherside of the doors for extra light to the north face of the building. Her place is on the north Devon coast and right beside the sea and fairly high up although she is sheltered by shrubs / hedging however, after three winters the doors were looking very shabby and cracks appearing and well as warping despite her treating and vanishing every autumn.

Three years ago she decided to dig a little deeper and install teak framed windows and doors and says they are fantastic. I've no idea where she got them from and I'm not in contact with her now.

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien