bathroom lights

i am looking to put new low voltage downlights in my bathroom, any suggestions which type, bulb etc that is easy to maintain

chris

Reply to
chris

Yes, think again. Downlighters for general lighting are a complete disaster. Bathrooms need good general lighting, and you might also consider supplemental task lighting for a shaving/makeup mirror. Downlighters can't achieve either.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why do you say that? Downlights are fine in my experience although I agree that an illuminated mirror is a good idea. I would also think about using fireguard fittings as they will stop steam rising into the loft space.

Reply to
AJH

As in my other post Chris I would recommend that you go for a good quality make of downlight such as Aurora or Click, and opt for the fireguard type as they are sealed against steam and warm air rising into the loft space.

12v incandescent dichroic fittings are fine and give an excellent punch of light even at 35W, there are various beam anbgles to choose from, you could also look at low energy fittings with 11watt lamps as they will have a longer lamp life and with less electricity consumption. The PIR type movement activated light switches are a good idea as are timers. Don't forget that if you are placing lights near to showers then they need to be IP65 rated.

If you want an alternative view try

AJ

Reply to
AJH

Our bathroom is a couple of metres square, and en-suite a bit smaller. In each of them, I've used three of screwfix's

MR16 IP44 rated low voltage bathroom downlights (3 finishes - part numbers 60962,

81219,37909) with 35W bulbs, and an extractor kit inc 35W light over the shower in the corner, part number 25652.

I went for white and the white bezel on the shower extractor so it doesn't draw your eye up to them particularly.

These downlights give a pretty good spread of light and having 4x 35W in total gives you more than enough light. You can also get to the bulb very easily to change it, as the bezel immediately around the lamp is a push/click fit - no fiddly wire retaining clip.

I think IP44 is the minimum for zone 1 - which is effectively above the bath in a normal house. You might find the higher rated IP65 units need the bulb removing from above (i.e. the downlight needs prising out), and tend to have a tighter light spread too.

I considered a lit mirror but I find them a bit too bulky. They always remind me of those wall mounted light boxes you get in hospitals to view X-rays......!

Reply to
Midge

Another nice way of getting lights into the bathroom Chris is to get your extractor fan with a built in light. Shower extractors or wall extractors come with a light. Here is an example -

Good luck!

Reply to
epicairfans

Well, I suppose at least it's _obvious_ spam.

I think on-topic adverts are allowed, if you don't overdo it. Replying to a 4 year old message (almost!) with a link to your own company's products is certainly an advert.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris