Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Power requirements for air-con
Hi, Having a small sun-room/extension on the back of my house to increase size of dining room. I've been mulling over the idea of adding an air-con unit and decided to go ahead with it. I've...
25
25

Breaking Concrete Floors
Hi, I am doing a steading / barn conversion and have about 300 m2 of concrete floor to take up and replace with a membrane underneath. The technique appears to be to use air tools to break up the...
2
2

4mm flex cable
Hi, Got an interest problem, I need to extend a feed from a UPS to a server rack. The feed currently terminates in a 32A commando plug and appears to be some kind of armoured cable. The load is only...
9
9

strong tissue blocking sewer pipes
Normally toilet tissue will completely break apart after being in water for a short period of time. But these so called 'moist toilet tissues' now for sale in some supermarkets do not dissolve...
11
11

Drain Cover
Hi - delivery van drove over my cast iron sewage inspection cover. Beeing messed around by their insurance so thought I'd get one myself.Haven't been to a warehouse yet but can't seem to...

12mm tiles on ceiling !
I tiled a windowsill in a bathroom with 10- 12mm porcelain tiles. The walls and floor are OK of course but I'm nervous about the top tiles attached in case they fall later on. I had to use tiles...
2
2

Blocked downpipe
Hi any advice welcome, please recommend a company in sheffield area, I live in a maisonette high up , downpipe from kitchen sink empties verrry slowly. Tried three bottles of Domestos drain cleaner ,...
5
5

Foundations ?
deep enough to bury them in !! might be something here seriously though my sympathys are with you, i had a similiar problem, but we had no fence as such, we had no reason to, until the neighbours from...
1
1

Whirlpool Washing Machine
Hi My Whirlpool washing machine (2yrs old) recently started to smell, so I removed elbow/hose from bottom of drum to pump and discovered a piece of plastic wedged inside (new shirt collar...
4
4

Moving/replacing a radiator
I'm after some advice on moving a radiator some distance from its current position and replacing it with one of those tall/narrow designer rads - probably something like this: sitation is as...
6
6

Rawplug Interset Plasterboard fixings - how to get them out ?
These are the ones which expand outwards and towards the rear side of the plasterboard as the screws are tightened for the first time. I now need to remove them and the only thing that I can think of...
3
3

Putting new skirting on recently skimmed wall
Had a skim on the lounge walls, after removing the old skirting, but the skim ends about 2.5 inches from the floor. So the new skirting (3 inches high) will not go flat against the wall - there is a...
9
9

For anybody having a swimming pool...
"TonyB" wrote Yes, but not twice the surface area. I was measuring the cost of holding a *constant* temperature, which is not affected by the water volume but merely by heat losses. The pipe losses...
19
19

Tall (Designer) Radiator ? Upside down
I've just fitted a new designer radiator which refuses to get hot. Is there a right way and a wrong way to fit these. The reason I ask is that the "In pipe" gets hot as does the "Out pipe." The...
5
5

Wiring a Kitchen Ring Revisited
Acouple of weeks back I asked for advice on the best way to wire a kitchen to enclude sockets for washing machines etc. Today I installed a basic ring plus plenty of sockets and ran it back to the...
3
3