Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cavity wall ties.
My Building Society is insisting that I have an expert report on the cavity wall ties of my 1926 three-bed semi-detached house before they OK a mortgage. Can anyone tell me how an 'expert'...
2
2

Part P exam questions on line
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people out there who will enjoy them. from...
13
13

What's the best way to unblock shower wastepipe and keep it clear
I guess this must be a fairly common problem. I have a shower and the waste pipe starts under the shower tray and makes its way around the edge of the en-suite batheroom to the waste pipe. This means...
6
6

Would electricity supplier do this?
Would an electricity supplier run a new pair of tails into a new consumer unit alongside the existing installation. At present there appears to be just one big old fuse and breaker supplying the whole...
2
2

New Kitchen Lights
Hello everyone, just bought some new lights for the kitchen. I need to replace the rose with a junction box and feed the new lamp with a brown and blue. I have bought some 5A junction boxes from...
1
1

1" BSP Gate valve for oil tank
Hi, OK, I'll admit it - I am really, really useless at searching the internet. But I have tried, for days, honest. All I want is an 1" BSP gate valve that will fit on my oil tank. Like ebay item...
5
5

Quick answer please-Can concrete roof tiles be repaired?
After power washing my roof I see that some of the concrete tiles have holes and some are cracked. Can these be successfully repaired and how could I do this? I don't know how I could nail down...
14
14

Shower Cubicles
I want to install a shower cubicle. I've not had one before. I've seen the conventional two sided glass ones but they always struck me as a bit rickety. My experience of a glass panel with an...
3
3

BS 6991 Connector on hedge-clipper or lawnmower leads
Dear friends, On the lead to my lawnmower I have a "weather-resistant" connector to BS 6991. Recently the lead was severed and I had to get a replacement (though this was of a different length.) I am...

Replacing an automatic air vent ????
The automatic air vent in my heating system is faulty - basically it leaks water and I have to keep topping up the system, but the leak is getting worse over time - possibly only some trapped dirt but...
3
3

Undermounted Sinks
I'm designing my kitchen from scratch. One of the things I'm considering is an undermounted sink. What's puzzling me at the moment is how they are held in place. Anyone? Mark
1
1

Travis Perkins rigid kitchen units.
TP are doing an offer (in Cheltenham anyway) of 80% off there rigid (pre-built) kitchen units. There quote is the lowest (2k) out of the others I've had (HomeBase 2.5k, MFI 2.3k and B&Q 2.8k)....

Kitchen kickboard sealer strip
Hi Anyone know where I could get Kitchen kickboard sealer strip? The strip that goes between the kickboard and floor On-line if possible
2
2

Stunning Restoration of 200 y/o Wall
I neighbour has just had his smooth red sandstone outer wall restored. It was expertly done but not cheap. Chap who did it used a base ordinary of hard cement, then PVA glue was applied. A sand...

Best way to cut a long thin slot in wood?
I need to make a cupboard door frame from wood. The panel is one of those thin nmetal mesh types usually found in radiator cabinets. The frame itself shouldn't be a problem as I have a cut-off saw...
6
6