Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Ready mix mortar
Using Jewson's ready mix mortar with plastcizer for pointing old sandstone shed and colour of mortar is a light brownish. That's ok but lady up the road is wanting to point her cottage but her...
2
2

Gas coal effect stove installation
We are fitting a free standing cast iron coal effect enclosed staove Broseley XL second hand. How much clearnace is the MINIMUM legally required between sides of stove and the (brick rendered) walls...
1
1

Window Achors??
Hi All, Should Window Anchors be inserted with or without the screw in place?? Also any real difference between Windows Anchors, Frame Fixings, Hammer Fixings and the like?? Regards. Bill.
2
2

gas combi boiler installation
Hi Im gettting a gas combi boiler and 5 radiators installed in the next week or so i have a couple of questions i hope someone can help with Firstly ive been told the boiler will have to be placed in...
3
3

Gas boiler question
Hi all, Over the lase 3 weeks or so we have been hearing a strange noise like a Puffy sort of bang. We ascertained that it was coming from next door but this morning as I was up very early I heard it...
3
3

garage door security
those of you that have a garage door, what extra security do you have ? ive just had one fitted (garador) after an extension build, i looked at the defender lock in front of my garage door i have a...
3
3

Blue tack spot removal
I have no doubt it will have been covered before but.... Does anyone know the best method of removal of grease spots left behind after Blue Tack has been removed from a wall covered in vinyl matt...
1
1

Central Heating Wireless Room Thermostat
We have fairly old central heating boiler. This heats both the central heating and the hot water. We currently have Drayton Lifestyle LP241 programmer which controls the timing of the hot water and...
1
1

Central Heating Pipes
I am about to put down an wood floor and need to sort out the pipes underneath first. My problem is that I have a combi boiler with 22mm flow/return pipes. However, whoever fitted the systemhas...
1
1

Toilet Pipe runs on outside wall
I am about to install a small en suite toilet to the top floor of a mid victorian terrace house 2up 2 down type. At present the bathroom and toilet are in a small extension on the ground floor. I...

Plastering
Hi, Can anyone recommend anywhere in the UK to learn plastering properly? Jim
7
7

Copper pipes in concrete
Hi, I believe that copper pipes cannot be laid in concrete floors anymore. Is this the case? I can see plenty of evidence of failures due to it being done in the past. Also have found plenty of...
5
5

Dripping Rad
Bought a shop soiled rad from wickes that was missing the bleed screw.Unusually to me the vent was at the rear of the rad rather than the end. These rads are slim rounded top types. The guy said he...
2
2

Electric cooker installation advice
Hi Folks, We've been given an one year old electric cooker to replace an old gas one that died. The cooker is a single oven type and the label on the rear says it is rated at 9.3/10.1Kw We already...
3
3

Shower Choices
Hi All, If I need to replace the faulty electric shower I would like to do it with a one that uses the hot water in the tank. The hot water system is fed by gravity and there is not much head so I...
2
2