Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Adding support to patio cover beams
Hi all. I want to close up the bottom of my patio cover with sheet rock, but I am not sure if the extra weight will cause problems. It doesn't look like the beams are thick enough to begin with. I...
1
1

"No Sitting" Metal Strips
I have seen a strip of decorative metal placed around planters in commerical areas to discourage people from sitting there. The metal I have in mind isn't tall spikes, but just maybe an inch high...
7
7

Screen door
Looking for a rigid aluminum frame screen door, for entry, with a large pet entry integral to that door. Found vinyl version online at I don't like vinyl/plastic as its subject the weather by...

Under tile electric heating cable/mat
I'm looking at installing under tile heating in a bathroom I'm building. The floor is concrete. What are some favorite cable or mat suppliers that you have had good luck with? Matt

32' x 34' addition
------------------------------------- Hello everyone. To help with climate concerns I am from Ont. Can. My wife and I are looking at putting on an addition 32' x 34' 1 floor with kitchen and...
2
2

Digital thermostat
Basic homeowner question here so be gentle... I'm replacing the old murcury thermostat with a programmable digital to hopefully same some $$ on oil. It is a very basic system - oil fired boiler...
2
2

Insulation and venting
I'm to the point that I have to insulate on top and close the gables. I'm getting conflicting sides on where to insulate [ on top of ceiling or under roof deck] Wheather or not to vent the...
21
21

PROBLEM SWEATING COPPER. WHAT AM I DOIN WRONG?
I am a general contractor but it has been years since I sweated copper. I cut the pipe with a pipe cutter tool. I clean both the pipe end (male) and the fitting (female) thoroughly. It is shiny clean....
14
14

Question on attic bathroom
Andy asks: I have built a room in the attic space and would like to add a sink and a urinal to it..... Is it acceptable to connect the drain line by "T"ing into the vent stack from a bathroom below...
8
8

Septic Tank Riser
My tank is a couple feet below grade and many decades old but still in excellent shape. I added a brush strainer and a drop T replacing the outlet baffle as the baffle had started to warp and I wanted...

Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered hardwood is to water spills? I know it's very resistant to chaning shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm...
15
15

Bob Morrison
I know several here knew Bob Morrison from his posts in this ng. I realized recently that I hadn't heard from him in a while (we had corresponded a fair bit off-line) and I checked his blog and...
7
7

Older metal windows won't close
Hello All: Windows at my nephew's home won't close unless one pushes it with substantial force from outside. I looked into it a bit. I first thought it was paint buildup, but ruled this out...
12
12

Removing a 9' load bearing wall
I'd like to remove a load bearing internal wall by putting a beam in the attic and attaching it to the ceiling joists from above. I know this was general topic was discussed in April of 2008....
6
6

Discount Home Lighting Fixtures
Shop our warehouse and save! Variety of light fixtures available for both indoors and outdoors. Numerous decorative styles and finishes to match any home decor and budget. Chandeliers, ceiling...