Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Deck Post Height
Finishing up my deck and installing the posts for the railing. For most of the posts, the top rail will lay on top of the post at 36 inches. On the corners we want to use post caps. What is the...
6
6

Concrete Slab Glue Down Vapor Barrier?
I need some guidance from the group. I have an existing slab on grade and I'm hoping to install engineered wood flooring. Most likely glue down. I received some advice from an installer to glue...
12
12

Trusses not over studs?
Hi Evereyone, We are looking a a little investment property which has a small unfinished garage on it. It is just studs on the inside, and we noticed, the studs are not under the trusses! It appears...
42
42

Vinyl Flooring Best For Pets?
We have animals that spit up, etc. on our carpeting regularly; therefore, we are planning to replace the carpet throughout our house with a pet-friendly flooring. Our pets spit up, etc while we are at...
6
6

Post pounding through slough
Hello. I'm just looking to get some advice on installing fencing through a slough/low lying wet area. The fence posts are for horse fencing, and are 4.15" dowelled round posts. I can't get a...
3
3

OT the leach side of Labor economics
one might notice these issues ...as many with good jobs now will find themselves riding used mopeds soon enough... including many civil servants as the tax base collapses defunding government......

anyone tried the new fangled rebar ties?
I am speaking of the Con-Tie spring loaded Speed Tie wires. I have been out of the game long enough that these ties didn't exist last time I had to tie rebar. I was getting all prepared to break...
18
18

cracks in the slab
We're having a house built in a rural mountain area where the predominant composition of the soil is decomposed granite and a little clay. Our house is a passive solar design and uses a rock floor...
24
24

running electrical in new CMU block walls
running electrical in new CMU block walls- I have a bunch to do so I thought I would check in and see if I can learn the simplest methods more suitable for production work. . any tips and advice would...
3
3

What is the best way to replace bad window flashing but keep the window ?
The house was built in 1965 and some of the windows are original wood but most of them are newer vinyl replacements which I'm guessing are about 10 years old. As of late in learning about home...
9
9

Pet-Friendly Flooring?
We have animals that spit up, etc. on our carpeting regularly; therefore, we are planning to replace the carpet throughout our house with a pet-friendly flooring. Our pets spit up, etc while we are at...
27
27

Floor Joist Beam Spans
I plan to build a small garage, 20 feet by 30 feet. I want to be able to span the 20 foot width, so that I don't have to use interior posts. At first, I was doubtful this could be done, and I have...
120
120

Level Plywood Subfloor
I have a joist that bows upward, causing my plywood subfloor to be uneven (3/4" over 4ft). How do I level the plywood subfloor in order to install nail-down 3/4" wood flooring? I thought about using a...
15
15

Is my builder meeting industry standards?
We're building a new house in a development with many new houses going up by one builder. I have some things that I have brought to their attention during walk throughs and I wanted to find out if...
15
15

Missing stuff
Let's say a subcontractor delivers supplies to a site and the supplies walk off before they can be installed. The supplies can be lumber, copper, AC units, anything... My question is, in normal...
3
3