Wood Floor Question

I have a wood floor to install, The client chose a pre-finished 3/4 oak. Now I understand acclimation and such. On one hand a friend of mine who is into wood floors for years, and had a business making wood flooring say's you do not have to acclimate pre-finished wood flooring. When I read a manual on installing wood floors it says to "acclimate" it. Who or what is the best practice? john

Reply to
jloomis

nailbiter

Another factor that may be important is how the yard stored the flooring prior to delivery. If inside, a (partially?) warmed warehouse may not need as much acclimation. Last pre-finished floor I did let it sit for three days. One 'trick' is to arrange delivery for Friday, prep the area where you will store it first, and use Friday (and part of Monday if necessary) for prep work. Then install Monday/Tuesday.

Reply to
PeterD

Another factor that may be important is how the yard stored the flooring prior to delivery. If inside, a (partially?) warmed warehouse may not need as much acclimation. Last pre-finished floor I did let it sit for three days. One 'trick' is to arrange delivery for Friday, prep the area where you will store it first, and use Friday (and part of Monday if necessary) for prep work. Then install Monday/Tuesday.

Reply to
jloomis

John,

We installed 3/4" prefinished Australian Cypress. I opened the boxes so they could get airflow (remove any wrapping if necessary) and let ours acclimate about a week before we installed them. We haven't had any problems in 8+ years.

When we installed wood flooring at my in-laws, we picked up the flooring one weekend, then installed it the next. Again, about a week to acclimate.

Of course, you may not have the luxury of a week to wait. We were working on other projects so it was no problem to let the boxes sit opened several days. I would wait as long as you are able.

As an example of what not to do, we ran out of our 1x6 T&G cedar boards before we could finish our ceilings. I picked up another load of boards, but in our rush I forgot to let it acclimate before installing. We did end up with some warping in the last few rows of the ceiling. Thankfully it's

14' up in a back corner so you can't really see it unless you're looking for it.

Anthony Watson Mountain Software

HerHusband

Reply to
Tom Cular