what does it take to get started as a contractor?

I have to build a house for my family and would like to use the opportunity to start a new career. There is a lot of information available on the internet on passing the MS contractor license exam and books on the management aspects of the business, However, what I'd like to see here are personal anecdotes of life in the beginning. I've got some relatives in commercial construction and have done residential reconstruction and remodeling on my own homes for years.

Reply to
fbussell

Were you planning on starting a contractor business to make a profit and support your family, or did you just want to build houses?

peace dawg :

Reply to
Deputy Dumbya Dawg

The most important thing you can have to be successful in the construction business is access to lots of mexicans.

Reply to
tmurf.1

The most important thing you can have to be successful in the construction business is access to lots of mexicans.

Reply to
tmurf.1

Actually the most important thing you can have to be truly successful in the construction business is a massive ego and patience. Having a massive ego means that everything other than that ego (even money) is secondary. You will work solely and unwaveringly to satisfy that ego. This means that your sole source of enjoyment is making your customers happy. This means you will have an endless supply of ecstatic customers who will intern build a profitable business FOR YOU in which you wont have to advertise, you wont ever have to compete on price, and will never go without work.

The alternative is getting your license then mortgaging everything you own to get a new 4 door 4wd dually (moreso to stroke whats under your zipper rather than for necessity), have it lettered, take out a yellow page add, order business cards, get hats/shirts/jackets embroidered, cover an obscene cell phone bill, buy all the tools you will need, buy a trailer, cover your payroll (as you will only want to drive around all day rather than actually work), and then going belly up.

Mark

Reply to
M&S