Will my floor take the weight?

Hi

We have bought a very heavy solid wood cabinet. I would like your help to determine if my living room hardwood floor can take this weight.

Cabinet info: It weights 580 lbs empty. With our items added to it, I estimate the weight of this cabinet would be 830 lbs. The wood cabinet is 20" deep,

67" wide and 90" high. The cabinet would rest on the floor using 4 levelers. This implies the load on each leveler, will by 830 lbs divided by 4 i.e. about 208 lbs approx per leveler.

The levelers have a 0.75 square inch surface area. This implies the load on the floor through each leveler is 208 lbs / 0.75 square inches = 277 lbs / sq inch.

Floor info: We want to place the cabinet in a ground floor room, butting a wall that is also an exterior wall of the house. [Cabinet would extend 20 inches out from this wall into the room]. The house has a crawl space below. The flooring in the room is Bruce prefinished hardwood.

Can you advise on whether my floor can take the weight of the cabinet? Is there additional data I need to gather, before this question can be answered?

Thanks a lot for your help Bob

Reply to
bagarow