steel building house revisited

From his website he looks like he knows what he is doing. Don't be surprised if your local jurisdiction requires engineering calculations for this type of house.

Yes, I just did

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Actually, I checked with the county planner and building boss, He said that aside from a state mandated septic tank permit and a final elec. inspection when the power is connected there are no other inspections, permits, nothing. I gues it's a build what you want and take your chances type of County.

Here in Pinellas Co Florida, we have Inspectors, inspecting inspections, planning dept's , zoneing etc. I guess this freedom plus the mountains has helped prompt me to move half way back after 20 plus years in the sunshine/property insurance state.

My Idea is a post and beam center structure 24x40x12 wall height with 2 stick frame 12x40x 10 "leanto's" if you will on either side for bedrooms, and baths. A post and beam front porch with the same roof line as the lean to's will complete that floor. A full cellar/workshop below. I'm thinking a 10 foot ceiling height there.

For simplicity, I was considering, 8" posts with 2x6 stud walls external so the post and beams show through on ther inside 2x4 stud on the inside. I figure the 2x6 will give me more insulation.

This will go in the middle of 69 acres on top of a rolling hill.

I'm very open to suggestions about anything here. I have a bunch of things I did to my currant house such as dog doors in the wall, mud rooms, laundry next to masterbedrrom, shoe kicks etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Bob Morris> > I looked around and found this guy,

Reply to
Raider Bill