A couple of weeks ago i was routing a curved piece of 3/4 MDF on the
router table for a form. i was wearing goggles and told my son to
leave the workshop until i was done. the edge caught the bit and i
let go.... the bit grabbed along the entire length of the heavy piece,
accelerating it and shooting it accros the room into a radiator cover
i was working on. the impact was as loud as a shotgun, and knocked
the radiator cover off the workbench with tremendous force. it was
scary and a reminder of what can happen. i was able to fix the damage
on the radiator cover, and will make sure my son is always out of
harms way.....maybe my wife would like to hang out in the workshop
next time ;)
The problem I see with accidents and the young people around here, is they
do not want to follow rules. Any rules!
The respect they get from their friends grows with the severity of the
accidents they have. The worse the accident, the more "respect" they get
from their "friends".
Their thinking is: Don't read any rules. Don't follow any rules. Do the
What they don't understand is that many rules/laws are in place to protect
THEM. This is advice handed down from others who have had accidents or by a
community which wants to prevent such accidents from occurring in the
I'm talking about safety rules in the front of instruction manuals, OSHA
rules, driving laws/rules, building code rules, etc.
No one ever thinks about WHY rules/laws were created in the first place. Why
it says to wear safety goggles. Why there is a speed limit. Why you should
wear a safety harness when working high up. Etc.
Actually these rules/laws are a detailed history of accidents which have
happened in the past. So when it says to wear eye protection, this is
because someone has used that piece of equipment in the past and had an eye
injury. Or the electrical code says to do your wiring in a certain manner -
well someone died in the past or was electrocuted because the wiring was not
done in this manner.
So these young people can start their lives by reading and following
rules/laws. Or they can place their lives in the hands of Darwin... (In my
area, Darwin has claimed the lives of 3 young people already this summer.)
My son (just turned 16) received a painful reminder of his own mortality from
a lawnmower at the end of June:
<WARNING: not for the faint of heart>
Fortunately, he wasn't badly hurt, and has almost completely recovered. His
left big toe is about 1/4" shorter than it used to be; other than that, he's
fine, and has been playing soccer again for a couple weeks now.
Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
Best dogs ever. Will love you to death. Both sides of our family have had
them from way before they were popular. Lots of great stories. But them
razor puppy teeth......they're like a buck saw on anything they happen
on 8/10/2007 5:11 PM Thomas G. Marshall said the following:
...and except for the hair. Sheds 24/7/365. Vacuum one day and have
little tumbleweeds in the corners next day. We have a central vacuum and
the app. 25 gallon can gets filled to the top with hair every couple of
months. Enough to build another dog.
Apparently, that is not new. The Scots used to use the shed and brushed
fur from their collie dogs for jumpers. As I own a Collie I can attest
to fact that she sheds enough to make a three piece suit every year :)
A Scottish breakfast
2. Glass of Scotch
3. Collie Dog
The dog eats the porridge
A white sheppard puppy can do some dammage with teeth too, they razor sharp
and curved, ours caught me right at the edge of my finger nail while I was
feeding her something, it sank in and I jerked back, OUCH ripped out some
meat there with it also, hurt for a month.
To be honest, I have seen more accidents in my 20+ years of commercial
construction that were caused by careless "old timers" who were confident
that they were in complete control. I have corrected safety issues with the
younger guys on the site, but the seasoned vets believe they know more than
I do and continue on doing it however they want.
I believe both sides. But this reminds me. For what it's worth, when I was
becoming certified for scuba, the instructor pointed out that she was not
the slightest bit worried about the inexperienced divers such as us at the
time. It was always the experienced divers becoming overconfident, and
especially the experienced divers who have not dived in a long time and jump
right back into it, that too often get hurt. Or die.
My diving instructor had us all play underwater rugby the first
The idea was for someone to get, hold, and deposit a 5 pound block
of rubber in a bucket at one end of the pool. Other than that, there
were no rules. Now 8 feet of water isn't very deep, until you're
the bottom - with the "ball" - almost out of air and four or five
allegedly trying to take the "ball" away from you but actually trying
to drowned your sorry ass to eliminate some competition. The
macho guys were the first ones that had to be pulled from the pool
and resucitated after pushing themselves WAY passed their limit
(or being held under well passed their limit).
The lesson taught - when you're in or under the water - NEVER
get even close to what you think is your limit. When your tank
tells you it's time to surface - do it.
Other lessons taught
When a current grabs you go with it, fighting it will kill you.
It WILL let you go after a while and the ride can be quite
If you don't know for sure that it's edible, don't shoot it.
If you're not sure you can kill it - don't shoot it.
At or below 60 feet, if you see a liquid in your mask that
ain't water clear but rather sort of green - DO NOT CLEAR
YOUR MASK - that's blood - the water filters out red first.
Head up and out and find out why your nose is bleeding.
Always dive with at least one partner - and keep him/her
on the "blue water" side - cuts your chances of getting
shark bit in half, even lower if you're on the shallow
NEVER get out of the water with a loaded speargun.
DO NOT point a loaded spear gun at your instructor and
show him how you bent your spear point on a rock with
your last shot. ( I actually saw a student do that. He
spent a two day trip sitting on board while the rest of
us were out for grouper and lobsters) .
If you're dumb enough to shoot a Parrot Fish, don't
show it to your diving instructor or brag about the
BIG fish you got. Parrot Fish are the puppy dogs of
the reef -and they put a lot of blood in the water
if you poke a hole in them.
Unless you absolutely know what's in a hole - DO NOT
STICK YOUR ARM IN IT.
If you aren't sure the opening in the other end is
big enough for you to get through DO NOT SWIM
INTO A CAVE / TUNNEL.
Back to woodworking
If that little voice in the back of your head is saying
"DON"T DO IT!" - then don't do it, whatever "it" is.
An often overlooked danger - you've just milled up
a board and it now has nice square corners and nice
square edges. They WILL cut you if they have a
chance to slide against your tissue. So if you grab
that freshly milled Four Square board, make sure
you've got a good grip on it - or have BandAids
DO NOT move cut offs away from a running bandsaw
blade with any part of your body.
If something doesn't sound right - find out why.\\
When a chisel or anything else with a sharp cutting
edge is falling off your bench DO NOT TRY AND CATCH
If your jaw is clenched or your shoulders are tight
your body is trying to tell you something. Find out
what that is ASAP.
If you work alone in a detached building, or even a
basement, keep a portable phone or cell phone on
you. You may be the only one who can call 911 in
A full sheet of 3/4" MDF is heavy and slippery.
If you're lifting it off a table or bench to get
it vertical for carrying, and it slips, all that weight
and all that momentum will usually land on one or
both of your feet. Get help or cut it down to
Nail guns, and even pin nailers may not drive the
nail like you think they will. Shooting a nail -
even a pin nail - into your finger and thumb is
not a good idea. Keep fingers and thumbs well
away from where the nail MIGHT go.
When I was in the Army, we had a recruit point an SLR at the Instructor
saying "It's jammed I think Sarg". Well I think he got the "Sarg" bit
out just before the barrel was pushed to one side and a bunch of fives
caught him on the chin.
He sure learnt a lesson and the rest of us watching did to.
Sometimes Words just ain't enough :)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.