Reversing a door swing or buy new prehung door

Hi,

What's the easiest way to change a bathroom door that swings into the bathroom to one that swing into the adjacent bedroom? This would allow a caregiver emergency access if the person falls in the bathroom blocking the door. Replace existing door with new prehung door and install OR rehinge existing door which sounds like a lot of work?

Thanks.

Reply to
rbakker7

personally I'd replace the entire setup, but much depends on construction, how old, etc., so there is (IMHO) no simple answer. If a prehung will fit, that may be the cheapest and easiest solution.

Reply to
PeterD

There is no one right answer. It depends on a lot of factors. Installing a new prehung unit will involve removing and replacing all the old trim. Then you have to consider the base trim--sometime it has to be removed so you get a proper fit between the base and the door casing. If it's an old unit, it is even possible to get into problems fitting the new door in the old hole. But if this is a house you want to look "right" it's the way to go.

Swapping the swing is no easy job either. you will have to pull off the door stop, remortise for the strike plate, remortise the hinges and replace the door stop, and turn the lockset around. If you are not terribly fussy, and don't mind looking at the old notches where the old hinges etc. were, it might not be too bad. Save you the money of buying a new door.

Reply to
marson

If the door is painted, or at least the jambs are painted, then you can fill the old mortises with plastic wood and sand smooth.

I would rather reverse the door in the existing jamb than install a new prehung unit, but then I can do it in about an hour. There are a lot of variables with a new door jamb than can cause you headaches unless you know what they are before you start and plan accordingly.

If you can use a hammer and chisel, you can reverse the door.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Reply to
Craig M

I think rehinging the bathroom door with double acting hinges that allow the door to swing in both directions is a great idea. So, would I:

Remove the door stop* Replace existing hinges with double acting Fill in any old holes with plastic wood and sand

Thanks.

*or replace door frame if there are metal door stops
Reply to
rbakker7