Electrical Boxes and Lighting

I am installing lamps in front of my gruage. I have the wires run, and I am putting in the boxes now. I have two 4in boxes that I want to install. Is it required (code) that the boxes sit directly behind the lamps or can they be offset?

-Paul

Reply to
0x9H

The lamp base will fasten to the box or a plaster ring of some shape. You won't get much in the way of an offset - as far as I know they are all centered.

Reply to
DanG

If you're going by code, then ask the inspector. If it's YOUR house and garage, then just hook the wires to the light and screw the damn thing to the wood and forget it.

Steve Barker

I like your style. I feel the same way.

-Paul

Reply to
0x9H

If you're going by code, then ask the inspector. If it's YOUR house and garage, then just hook the wires to the light and screw the damn thing to the wood and forget it.

*Yes it is your property and you can burn it down any way you please.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I think the OP's original problem was he didn't understand what the boxes were for, not ony wiring, but to attach the lamp to the building!

Reply to
PeterD

Here's the straight answer. The lamps have to go on top of the boxes. No exceptions.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

But they don't have to be centered. There's no proscription I'm aware of that would prevent a mounted offset/larger box and the lamp mounted to that.

The box obviously has to have appropriate cover, and the fixture mounted as it is designed to be mounted but there's nothing that says that it absolutely has to go _directly_ into the middle of the box afaik.

--

Reply to
dpb

In all likelyhood if there is room for a larger box then there is room to put a normal box behind the desired light location. For the op's purposes I think it needs to be clear that the fixture mounts on top of the box. Now if he has space issues it would be ok to put a shallow box in as long as the light is the end run of a piece of 14/2.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ...

I would presume the issue is one of making location of mounted light visually symmetric or similar but stud or existing location makes that more difficult than otherwise.

The point is there are lots of things that would be acceptable other than the most direct straight-ahead mount the light in the center of the box -- the "no exceptions" to that was the point of the response.

Reply to
dpb

Sorry but it seems very unlikely that the op was referring to a problem that would be solved with a large box/offset fixture mount/ cover. I believe the cover would need to remain accessible to meet code and that would not be very aesthetically pleasing. In practically speaking all normal situation the box needs to be placed behind the fixture. If there is a stud/studs then a shallow box could be used and the fixture would still be placed on top of it. You're just arguing a point that doesn't really contribute any to helping the op solve what ever problem they have. And it needs to be clear to the op that you do not connect the wires from the fixture and then wood screw the fixture onto the wall any old place. The box and fixture need to connect to each other with the wire connections inside.

Reply to
jamesgangnc