Cutting brick for window install?

I want to put a double-hung window in my garage for a window unit AC. Am handy enough with framing and sheetrock but the exterior veneer is brick. I have been quoted $250 to cut the opening. It seems simple enough but I realize that its one of those things you better get right the first time. The opening is going to be about 36" x 48"

Any tips on this? Do you have to use wet blade equipment or would a good circular saw with a diamond blade do it? The other windows in the house have a row of bricks turned on edge at the window sill. Is it easy enough to mortar those in?

I know this is probably brick and mortar 101 to lots of you. I'm looking for advice on that would help convince me whether I should attempt this on my own

Mike in DFW

Reply to
mike

Yeah, 250 don't sound too bad. Grab it before he changes his mind.

Reply to
Glenn

Cutting the brick is the easy part. You'll have to support the brick above the opening while cutting the opening and you'll have to install a steel lintel to carry the load after the opening is completed.

At least as important as the brickwork is the flashing. Relying on caulk is asking for trouble.

If the $250 included cutting the brick, installing the lintel and flashing, then I'd hire it out.

RicodJour