Here ya go, straight from the Oxi-Clean web site.
Can I use it with Chlorine Bleach?
No! Oxi Clean is a bleach alternative and works by itself. Do not mix
it with bleach as they will neutralize each other and can create
dangerous gases and heat. If mixed in a poorly ventilated room,
breathing the fumes created by this mixture can be fatal.
It's akin to mixing Ammonia and Bleach!
I wonder how many folks know that in Chlorine Bleach, the chlorine gas
is held in suspension in a solution of LYE.
firstname.lastname@example.org (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote:
Ammonia seems to be unique in being an alkaline that reacts dangerously
with chlorine bleach.
Oxiclean is a peroxide bleach. It makes oxygen atoms available from
H2O2. Chlorine bleach is solt with oxygen. It works by combining with
water to produce a little lye and HOCl. HOCl bleaches by making oxygen
atoms available. If H2O2 and NaOCl are present in wash water, you end
up with NaCl and H2O and O2. O2 is what you breathe. It's not a good
The website may be crying wolf about fumes that are harmful to breathe.
If you mixed them in concentrated form, maybe the heat and oxygen could
cause a plastic container to produce a harmful gas.
It used to be made with lye. I think now they use salt water or some
other material. The bleach itself is caustic and produces some lye.
On Friday, July 30, 2004 at 6:39:59 PM UTC-4, George wrote:
I Liked what Lloyd Randal said because the question has a since of chemistr
y question in it. Let me tell you all that i personally had the same questi
on right after I recovered from an accident with regular Clorox and OxiClea
n!! It WASN'T MUCH and I never smelt any new smells, but i saw the cloud an
d cream. I suddenly felt a little sick and a very slight shock in my vascul
ar system and sweat pores, a sign that something changed in a dangerous way
. I immediately walked calmly outside. As I did, my vessels swelled and hea
d pressurized and my heart started ramping up with speed and power and i go
t hot. I began to make emergency plans because I new if it continued to inc
rease, I would probably pass out. Luckly it subsided before that. Just thin
k about what would have happened if i seen the cloud and cream even a 10 se
conds later? Maybe Id never made it outside and died. It DIDNT feel good ea
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.