Spring...for the birds

Just a suggestion.

Many birds are begriming to nest at this time of year. To help them, place a collection of what you clean from your dryer lint screen in a mesh bag, such as potatoes come in, and place it out where the birds can pull it free for nesting material.

They'll love you for it.

If you don't care about the birds, well, just keep tossing the lint in the garbage.

Reply to
RoR

-> Just a suggestion.

->

-> Many birds are begriming to nest at this time of year. To help them, place

-> a collection

-> of what you clean from your dryer lint screen in a mesh bag, such as

-> potatoes come in, and

-> place it out where the birds can pull it free for nesting material.

->

-> They'll love you for it.

->

-> If you don't care about the birds, well, just keep tossing the lint in the

-> garbage.

Actually lint is a bad thing for birds' nests. It collects water and stays wet. Best to toss it if you do care about the birds. If you don't believe me, post your message again on the rec.birds newsgroup.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

-> Just a suggestion.

->

-> Many birds are begriming to nest at this time of year. To help them, place

-> a collection

-> of what you clean from your dryer lint screen in a mesh bag, such as

-> potatoes come in, and

-> place it out where the birds can pull it free for nesting material.

->

-> They'll love you for it.

->

-> If you don't care about the birds, well, just keep tossing the lint in the

-> garbage.

From Cornell [University] Lab of Ornithology

(or
)

"What about dryer lint? Some people include this as suitable bird nesting material. Others recommend against it because it is porous and dries out poorly if it's rained on in the nest. Still others warn that wet dryer lint dries into a hard mass, providing poor nest insulation, however this may happen only if it contains laundry detergent or fabric softener residue. More information is needed before we can recommend offering dryer lint."

Reply to
Suzie-Q

come in, and

What a good idea!!! Thank you!

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Actually, birds really like pet hair. Brush your dogs and cats outdoors and let the hair just go. The birds love it!

Reply to
Amy

I do that with my pets too. I have a lot of birds around my property.

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

Guess I won't do it then. :(