Kitchen floor wax remover

Hello, i would like some recommendations on removing kitchen floor wax with ground in dirt mixed in.

i tried some straight ammonia for a check and it works but i hate the smell and i am scared of using it.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks for any help.

cal

Reply to
† cal

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (? cal) wrote in news:12304-40E9B125-1025@storefull-

3156.bay.webtv.net:

Ammonia. It's still the best agent for removing wax. I believe there are scented ammonia products on the market now.

Reply to
Wayne

I have had very good luck with an Armstrong product called "New Beginnings." It is sold at Lowe's and Home Depot and probably anyplace that sells Armstrong flooring products. It does contain ammonia and is very strong. After stripping the floor, I used a companion product called "Shine Keeper" that is sold along with the stripper. They also have a cleaning product called "Once and Done" that is part of the same line. When I moved into this house, it was obvious that the previous owners had used multiple layers of wax, probably that horrid "One Step" product without ever stripping and cleaning the floor. What a mess. It took me a couple of applications of stripper to get it completely clean. Here is a link to the Armstrong website:

Vox Humana

Household ammonia is the product used to remove floor wax, but it is important to know what type of floor is in your kitchen before making suggestions. For a vinyl floor, spread the full strength ammonia over the floor, wait 15 minutes to allow the ammonia to do the job, then mop up the ammonia. No need to be afraid of household ammonia, just place an exhaust fan in the kitchen window.

Reply to
Phisherman

On floors with really heavy wax build-up, I find that it is necessary to use a scrub brush after letting the stripper or ammonia sit on the surface. I like to use a squeegee to collect the stripper and soak it up with rags or a sponge. On large floors, I do an area at a time.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Thank you for all your responses. i am off today to find some products!

cal

Reply to
† cal

I use Armstrong's stripper on my vinyl floor. Followed by Shine Keeper (I think that's what it's called.)

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

That's the stuff I use. From Home Depot or a flooring store -- grocery store version isn't as powerful, I was told by the nice Armstrong lady who sent me a quart of each as a free sample to give it a try on my floor. When I was done, the floor looked like new. Honest.

Reply to
Melba's Jammin'

It's wonderful stuff. I have since replaced all my flooring (carpet and vinyl) with laminate flooring, but prior to that I used the Armstrong products. They made the floor look like new -- well, except for the seams that were coming apart. ;)

Reply to
Vox Humana