I hired carpet cleaners 4 days ago. They left a chemical smell all
throughout the house. I called them back and they said they had to use
more cleaning fluid than usual because the carpets were dirty. They
used precleaning fluid plus steam cleaning.
Today I hired another more well-respected company to try and get the
odor from the first group out. They steam-cleaned the carpet, but the
chemical smell is still there.
What can I do to get rid of this chemical smell?
In addition to the advice already given: burn several of the candles that
are designed to get rid of smoke small (not just "regular" candles -- these
really do help). You also might want to try some of the plug-in air
fresheners for a few days. Monitor the candles carefully, especially if you
have children or pets.
I have never heard of any problems. I had a very strong odor of smoke in my
house when a microwave oven malfunctioned and did not turn off (which
literally turned the food to charcoal but also released the most incredibly
heavy, smoky stench). I have a cat, and the candles did not hurt either of
us. I used the candles that are designed to get rid of smoke (but does not
actually place an odor in the air) and also used some vanilla-scented
candles. However, I was always careful not leave them burning when I could
not be present to watch them. You should probably place them on a counter
out of the reach of your dog, and do *not* get the kind of candles that are
used for aromatherapy. There are som with essential oils that really are
dangerous for cats (but I don't know about dogs).
Incidentally, I ran my air conditioner and/or fan most of the time for a few
days, and the filter was actually sticky with residue when I changed it a
few days later. Of course, the smoke actually had particles that the filter
could "catch," but you might also want to try this.
That's true of the plug-in air freshener, but the candles that are designed
to eliminate smoke odor do not leave any scent of their own. I don't know
how it works, but I did find that that was true in my case. Scented
candles, of course, will do just as you said.
Actually any combustion will help eliminate odors, but if you have a
habit of burning candles you'll end up with a layer of hard-to-remove
soot on your ceiling. It's hard to beat opening a few windows for
I was only talking about a solution for what sounded like a one-time (but
very pungent) problem. Certainly, that was how I used the candles -- after
a lot of very strong smoke got into the air during a microwave accident
(which literally turned everything inside to "toast"). I thought I was
going to need to hire a professional service and had serious concerns about
permanent damage because I know that smoke residue can get into fabrics and
ruin them. So I thought this called for more than just opening windows. I
even found that the filter on my air conditioner was completely clogged with
sticky residue after a couple of days of running the fan constantly. Those
candles almost worked miracles for me. I don't smoke, so this was a
one-time-only need -- but they worked so well that I thought the person who
wrote for help might also like to try it. I would think that it would be
good to alternate this with open windows (depending on weather and where the
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.