Getting rid of mothball odor on wool hat

Hi guys

I bought a "antique" Russian Papahka hat from an online dealer, but it smells badly of mothballs since he needed to protect them from moths. So basically I've been treating the wool hat with extra strength febreeze and then leaving it outdoors to get air. It's been about 2 days I left the hat outdoors and resprayed it. Now tonight I leave the hat outdoors again in the cold to see if I can eliminate more odor. But still, the odor is still noticable.. my treatments have been helping slightly. I think the best method is going to be to keep airing it out for awhile.

Any ideas?

Reply to
RedOctober90

The sun dissipates a moth-ball odor fairly quickly. Keeping wool items in an airtight container with mothballs is excellent protection--your dealer knows well.

Reply to
Phisherman

Will have to try that, no sun of late because of all the snow but I will try it when it's sunny.

Reply to
RedOctober90