Getting rid of grasshoppers

How can I get rid of grasshoppers on my potted plants? They seem to love my Hawaiian Woodrose and are eating it up at a furious pace. I treated the plant with Bayer Tree and Shrub (imidachlorprid) and Neem Oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I live near lots of corn and soybean fields (Indiana), and I think they may be coming from there.

-=- This message was sent via two or more anonymous remailing services.

Reply to
Anonymous

I get pretty nice results dealing with other bugs by spraying with a homemade concoction made from onions, garlic and a LOT of cayenne pepper. I simmer it all in a large pot, cool it, strain through cheesecloth and then coffee filters, and apply with a spray bottle. I cannot give you a recipe. When you go near the simmering pot and your eyes hurt, you've got it right. Fresh cayenne peppers are the way to go. If you don't have a kitchen fan that vents to the outside, you may not want to try this idea.

This stuff got rid of Japanese beetles in about 9 minutes. They never returned to my grape leaves. While there may be other reasons for them vanishing, this is the only data I have.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hawaiian Woodrose and are eating it up at a furious pace. I treated the plant with Bayer Tree and Shrub (imidachlorprid) and Neem Oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I live near lots of corn and soybean fields (Indiana), and I think they may be coming from there.

There is a product called Nolo Bait. It is a natural biological product you put out in the spring. First I spray all my plants with water and throw it onto the plants and the flakes stick to the plants. It gives grasshoppers a bit of sickness which kills them and it spreads.

When we first bought this house the garden had literally tens of thousands of grasshoppers. I mean big, 3" honkin grasshoppers. I am petrified of them. Maybe I now see one here or there. I treated two springs in a row and the problem is controlled.

Reply to
Jangchub

Hawaiian Woodrose and are eating it up at a furious pace. I treated the plant with Bayer Tree and Shrub (imidachlorprid) and Neem Oil, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I live near lots of corn and soybean fields (Indiana), and I think they may be coming from there.

I use Zygon (by Dragon) on my azaleas to ward off lacebug. It is a systemic mixed up as a spray. I also use it on my house plants placed on the deck for the summer, in preparation to bringing them indoors for the winter. It has an awful odor, so I plan to spray it a week before bringing in the plants.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remailer" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@remailer.cyberiade.it...

Mix up a really big batch, put it in gallon jugs, and let it sit until next season. I didn't do this intentionally - I just forgot I had it in the garage. When I opened it, it almost killed me, so I used it. Seems to work better when fermented. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Thanks for the suggestions. I mixed up some cayenne pepper with garlic and onions last night and sprayed it on the plant. The grasshoppers didn't seem to like it much, but I haven't checked it today. I may give them some neem oil tonight. The nolo bait seems like a good option too, may give it a try in the future. Every systemic I have tried so far doesn't seem to have any effect on the grasshoppers (although good for other critters), so not sure if I will try the Cygon.

Reply to
Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remaile