Cleaning Armstrong floors with marks on it?

Hi--

I have what I think is an Armstrong, self polishing floor in the kitchen. It has many, many black heel marks from the garage door to the sink. We have checked our shoes, rubbing the soles and heel edges on the floor to try to make the black marks, but no shoe soles or heels are doing it. I finally think that what is happening, is some of the blacktop driveway material is maybe getting caught between the groove on the soles, and are making the 2 inch long marks. They must fall out, because I can't find them in our shoe sole grooves.

My wife has very strong allergies to most cleaning products. I know I can rub them out using laquer thinner, but it has to be a windy day with every window open. Which means I can only clean the floor in spring or summer. With laquer thinner and a rag.

There must be a better way, some non-toxic, not smelly cleaner that I can use on the floor, without hurting the floor!

I really appreciate useful suggestions on this problem.

Thanks allot! Ron

Reply to
Ron G

I would try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which can be found in the cleaning isle of your supermarket or discount store. Also, since it seems to be an oil based substance, you might try using vegetable oil, mayonnaise, peanut butter, or one of the all natural orange oil cleaners. Another thing to try would be toothpaste.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Reply to
Phisherman

PAM (the no-stick spray) works on tar and heel marks. Also often help remove the last remnants of sticky labels. It's not just for cooking... It seems to work a little better than plain vegetable oil(which will also work) plus it's easier to apply.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Hi--- Thanks allot. Do I just clean the PAM up with just soap and water? I guess otherwise, does it leave a slippery film? Thanks--- Ron

Reply to
Ron G

Yes. Those cleaners which won't touch the black marks on the floor will get up any remnant PAM just fine.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz