remedy for onion smell on hands

Just wanted to see if anyone here had heard of a neat way to remove the odor left on your hands from cutting up onions.

A friend told me to wash my hands after cutting up the onion, then rub them all over the stainless steel faucet of my kitchen sink. It really does work!

Wonder why?

Cindy in WV

Reply to
CindyP

Chemicals in an onion can react with each other quickly. That's how you can end up with sulphuric acid in your eyes. It seems that something in the stainless steel acts as a catalyst for a reaction that breaks down the chemicals that cause odor. It may be the nickel. Somebody needs to experiment with different metals.

Reply to
Choreboy

Reply to
Phisherman

rub your hands in the salad itself before serving.

Lets you reduce your expenditure on onions

Reply to
alanh_27