Cleaning a Hotel Jacuzzi

I stayed at a hotel with a Jacuzzi in the room once and when I filled it up and turned it on I could feel cold water squirt on me for a few seconds. I figured that it must have been from water that stayed in the lines after the last person used it. Pretty gross.

The next time I stayed in a hotel with one ( a two week vacation ) I put some bleach in the Jacuzzi and let it run and figured it was clean. I realize I am a bit on the OCD side when it comes to cleaning, I filled it up again and put some detergent in the Jacuzzi. It almost made me sick to see all the "gunk" that came out and floated on the suds. I had to put fresh water in the Jacuzzi and let it run and repeat about 6 times before I got clean water only. I would figure that in all the time the hotel had been in operation with the Jacuzzi in the room it had never been cleaned, only whipped down.

When I say Jacuzzi, I mean it was a shower/tub/Jacuzzi all in one deal.

So, I'm posting this as a warning if you stay at a place with one and you use it. I'm sure after the bleach it was sanitized. But TO ME, germ free dirt and scum is still dirt and scum. YMMV.

Also, if you have one of these combo units in your home, how do you keep it clean? I realize that some people don't freak out about their own dirt/mess as much as they would someone else's dirt/mess.

I'm sure running the detergent through the unit like I did is probably not a great idea, but there must be a way to clean it.

Thanks

EriK

Reply to
Bonnie Peebles

I'm not sure what we have is the combo unit you describe, but we have a Kohler whirlpool tub that is also set up to be a shower )like lots of tubs are also plumbed for shower).

Instructions that came with our tub advise us to clean the jets regularly. We use 1 teaspoon of automatic dishwasher detergent and 20 ounces of bleach in a tub of warm water. I'm not sure what such a small amount of detergent does. Jets are set to turn off air conduction and the tub is run for about five minutes.

I'm the only one who uses the tub, since my DH prefers showers and the shower in the other bath is a vertical spa. I don't mind my own dirt, but I clean the tub to prevent mold and other bad stuff from growing in the water that sits in the jet mechanism. Plus of course I want to maximize the life of my tub.

Anny

Reply to
Anny Middon