Suggestions on organizing papers (bills, letters etc.) for a clean home office

Hi All,

One of the reasons I constantly have to clean my home office is due to the volume of mail (bills etc) and important correspondence (e.g., Health Insurance docs) that generate a lot of paper trails.

Additionally, I have a lot of paper items from work that I need to keep organized.

I was thinking of getting some cheap shelves but those look ugly and impractical (everything lies exposed, gathering dust etc).

I would appreciate any feedback as to what works for people vs. doesn't work.

Thanks!

Reply to
John Shepard

I'd look into an inexpensive scanner - it's cut way down on the pieces of paper floating around my office.

- Cindy

Reply to
CDC

hello John. I have shelves in my bedroom and I keep these boxes on them full of photo's and paperwork

are pink and I have two large ones. They also have small ones. I think they look super. One can also buy box files to match. just the ticket!

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

What works for me:

a four tier plastic tray organizer. top layer : bills to be paid, calls to be made. corresp. to answer..

2nd layer: pending file - stuff which needs further followup. I write the flwp date in red in upper left corner, and review it once a week. 3rd layer: info I want to keep handy for imminent task e.g. info on the guy who fixes something, next time I'm in his area. 4th bin: stuff to be filed. I try to empty this at least once a week.

Hanging files in desk drawer for stuff I file into at least once a month. PUrge this yearly.

Then, stuff I still wish to keep goes into archives cabinet - stuff I might need in future. PUrge this on rainy days. Also, this cabinet has files I go into maybe ev. 6 months e.g. insurance.

Reply to
val189

Interesting. I was thinking and I think if I had to name one culprit, I would say that things that I have to archive for a long time (i.e., over

6 months) tend to be the worst offenders.

You made me smile with your 'rainy day' suggestion. I live in the desert and we sometimes don't see rain for many many months.. sometimes it 'rains' but evaporates before a single drop hits the ground. Does that count? :)

Reply to
John Shepard

Mine are pink and I have two large ones.

Interesting, but I tend to have a pack rat gene that kicks in ... and before you know, I'll have 14 of these stacked up :) Thanks!

Reply to
John Shepard

Thanks! great suggestion (which I am going to start doing now).

Reply to
John Shepard

Maybe what you need are more filing cabinets and hanging folders. Or reassess the need for hanging onto this stuff. Maybe time for a review and a recycling project. Watch out for identifying things like date of birth etc.

I faced a two foot pile of paper financial statments once time - had broken two shredders already - so allotted ten minutes a day and a pair of scissors. It got done and now I shred (manually) on a daily basis as I supersede various items. It's all a part of processing the mail.

So, what's your equivalent of a day stuck inside?

I live in the desert

Reply to
val189

The dollar store sells sets of three plastic 8-1/2 x 11" drawers. The sets can be stacked. I keep one on my desk for incoming bills, etc.

When I take care of a bill, I put it in a tabletop box of hanging file folders. Periodically I'll staple a set of paid bills together, such as a year's worth of gas bills, and move them to a filing cabinet.

Reply to
Denominator

john shepard

i just saw a spring break idea for travel and vacation,; it listed Death Valley as a National Park...

i am still thinking about that. what could you do there? get a tan? fry things without matches.

3,000 acres is alot of room to
Reply to
Victoria Sunsshhine