Best Rated threads in House Cleaningshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cleaning Astracast Composite Sink
Although composite sink material is completely scratch resistant it can be a bitch to clean. Surface stains can be removed by soaking with biological washing powder in boiling water, but over a period...
1
1

Glasses smell after dishwasher
I got a nice new Bosch dishwasher and am very happy with the silence and how clean it gets the glasses and plates. My problem is frequently when drinking a glass of water I notice my glass smells. I...
4
4

How to get a newsprint stain off a wood table
Hi, I have a light pine table. My daughter was painting and put newspaper down to cover the table. When we took the newspaper back up we found a patch about 1"x1" where the newsprint had transferred...
4
4

Windex vs. windshield wiper fluid
My sister always used windshield wiper fluid to clean her house hold windows. What's the difference between Windex and this? Besides the anti-freeze part. Theresa
2
2

Help: Dog puke on jute rug
oh you have not :-) dogs & vomit have traditionally had a close relationship - notable because if there's good stuff in there they eat it straight up again :-| (causing a minimum of distress to one's...
6
6

Borax -vs- Sodium Percarbonate?
If you're looking for a laundry powder additive with antifungal and antibacterial properties, how does Borax (sodium borate decahydrate) compare to products containing sodium percarbonate?
15
15

How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big clump of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz...
61
61

**** ruined taps****
just used harpic limescale remover on my gorgeous taps in the bathroom, they have turned pink!!!! so it has blatenly taken off the shiny colour, does anyone know how to restore this????? please!!!!
8
8

how to remove chewing gum from the screen?
Hi, My 5 year-old daughter put her chewing gum all over the screen of her brother's gameboy. Is there any way to clean it? Thanks for any advice. Arkadiy
3
3

cleaning up after bad tenant
I recently had to get rid of a tenant who I suspect was breeding pit bulls. I inherited him when i bought the building. Two rooms were full of evidence of dog feces and urine. After I remove the...
6
6

Are some things too dirty to put in the washing machine?
Are some things just too dirty to wash? I'm talking basically about rags that I use for scrubbing the sink drain, toilet bowl, and other rather dirty areas. Can these be washed and re-used, or are...
26
26

basement smell
try an ionizer (air purifier)
9
9

Yellow stain on Congoleum floor
Hi: We have a Congoleum linoleum floor in our kitchen. Under our dogs' water dishes a yellow stain has formed where the moisture was trapped. We tried using Congoleum's recommendations of rubbing...
4
4

little black dots (2024 Update)
Same here. Mine seem to be around sink area, bathroom, etc. I have wood floors, who knows. Spingtail, silverfish or earwigs are possible...Or fleas. As far as fleas, I did not have a pet last year....
3
3

furniture polish with wood stain in it?
Somewhere on TV, maybe DIY or HGTV, someone mentioned using a furniture polish (maybe even a spray-on) with stain in it for those little scratches on furniture. We just moved and could sure use...
7
7

Cleaning Question - re: Cat's Urine
HI, folks - I would like to know if anyone has any experience with cleaning cat urine off of the footbed of a Birkenstock sandal. I've tried lots of things, but the spot is still smelly & tacky to the...
4
4