Solar Decathlon in DC

If anyone is near Washington, DC in the next week, it's worth taking the time to visit the Solar Decathlon that's set up on The Mall. 20 universities built solar homes, shipped them to DC and set them up on the Mall, and are getting graded in ten categories. I made a special trip from NY and visited this past Saturday - I highly recommend the visit.

More info at:

RicodJour

at:

Yeah, a right bunch of forward looking artichokes and onioneers you guys are...

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Some of us have been a bit carried away recently with shopping locally :-)

I'll have a look at the results, stand-out projects. I live in an area where solar radiation is normally between 400 and

600watts/m2 - so - why isn't this being harnessed on a vast scale? The answer is, reticulated power is still relatively cheap and solar power technology relatively expensive. If the cost-recovery period is 7 years or more there is little incentive to adopt solar technology. On the other hand, progress is being made on reducing the grid load from water heating, and a 'Citisolar' project:

Troppo

Troppo wrote in news:Xns99CD40FE5BDBAtroppo19notsohotmail@210.8.230.25:

We looked into th epossibility of solar panels, but that's it, it's very expensive, for even a small amount of power.

A moral quandary...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I heard about it about a year or so ago and viewed online some great pics of previous events, and might have even mentioned it on here before too. Indeed worth a visit.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I went, I saw, I noticed two dwellings that with an incredible lot of detail work and a lot of reworking that I might be willing to dwell in for a vacation home for short periods of time....

The entrants were so serious that the majority of them used Subzeros for their fridges. When you are pay>Troppo wrote in

Reply to
++