Jet DC-1100 DC question

I have an opportunity to pick up a Jet DC-1100 Dust Collector. AFAIK, this particular unit is the ORIGINAL version.

I see that the revised model, DC-1100A was designed to accept the cartridge filter system.

My question is this: Has anyone retrofitted the orginal DC-1100 to accept this cartridge? Is it possible? What problems, if any, were encountered.

I'm checking with Jet customer service but, quite frankly, many of the manufacturer's take forever and a day to respond to their e-mail inquiries.

Side note: Looks to be in very good shape and comes with about 20' of METAL 4" duct and assorted fittings including caps and plastic blast gates. What's the consensus on a fair price for this unit.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Jet service is pretty good and has always replied to my email. I think the process email every morning. If you want the fastest service, call them on the phone.

Assuming the DC is out of warranty, I would think $150-$200 would be a fair price, if its in good condition. Some people would say that Jet DCs are overpriced. I know I get better service with jet than I do with Harbor Freight and that's worth something jet also uses high quality TEFC motors and all their products have a good powder coat paint job. Obviously I like their products.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Yep. Works great. I believe it filters down to 2uM, and increases the suction by a huge amount. The support bars for the main housing toe in a bit, but it doesn't effect the installation. A bonus is that you get several desposable bags for dust collection. If you've ever cleaned out a lower dust bag you have to wonder to yourself, "Why do I need a dust collector?" It gets dust everywhere. With the bags you just tie them up and get rid of them.

Reply to
rickluce

I have an 1100A. AFAIK, it comes down to a 19" vs. 20" bag and cyclone diameter.

When I bought the canister upgrade, a new " cyclone ring", a.k.a. the center section of the machine, was included. My 1100A didn't need the ring, the 1100 does. I was able to simply install the canister and plastic bags and fire her up.

Last year, I posted the extra parts here as a free giveaway, twice. Since there are were no takers, and I needed the space, the BRAND NEW extra retrofit parts ended up in the scrap metal bin at the recycling center. 8^(

I don't see what issues would have come up had I needed to use the other parts, the kit was extremely complete. I think you'll be fine.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

FWIW, I bought a Jet DC1100C, a Jet JWBS-14X Bandsaw with the 1¼ HP motor, 6" block installed, Itura springs, 5 new blades, a Jet Gold 1000F overhead filter with remote, and a Delta 17-965 floor mount drill press for $850.00 all nearly new (less than a year old) and very lightly used. The guy included lots of extras including a remote switch, tubing, gates, fittings (all never used), tool tray, and even a Bandsaw book.

I supose its a real gloat, but the guy I bought it from unfortunately has asthma and I guess his doc told him no more woodworking even though he tried everything including a respirator. He has to limit his wood work to outdoor projects apparently the confines of a wood shop were not healthy... even with those precautions.

My guess is that the DC should cost you no more than $150 if its a "deal". BTW, the cannister setup works great... I'd definitely look into the retrofit.

Reply to
CaptMike

Uh, yeah, you might call that a gloat. I would!

Yeah, that's my thought too. Between your estimate and Billy Bob's, I'm thinking of $175-$200 max with the hoses, piping and blast gates.

He's asking $250 but he's not going to get it I don't think. At least not from me. At the asking price, by the time I added $190 for the cannister kit (yeah I did find it at Amazon.com along with several other insightful owner reviews) I'd be darn near up to the cost of a brand new one and would still have to take the time to do the retrofit.

Thanks to one and all for the advice and observations.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused