Re: XP

Yes. You'll need to call in to "authorize" it, though...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Wow... that would be tough... You'd need to get SP2 and all the other tweak installs and updates on disk...

Can you install XP Pro on a machine WITHOUT a web connection? >
Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Yes. You'll need to call in to "authorize" it, though...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Don:

See if you can find a copy of Win2K. It's a lot more stable than Win98 and it doesn't require all that authorization stuff.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Ditto Bob's comment...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Everything runs better on W2K than 98... trust me But, for $5, you can get a network card for the P3 and just use your existing network...cheaper and better than dial up. Also, you can download the SP2 service pack and burn it to a CD.

Reply to
3D Peruna

I've done it. I know I didn't get XP until this apartment. I've never had net in this apartment. You will at some point need to telephone them, iirc.

Reply to
gruhn

Of the upgrade stuff, what's important? There's some mobile networking and lots of internet security. Is there anything that _matters_ for what Don might be doing with the machine? I don't know, I don't really pay attention. If he doesn't have it on the net he won't care about the critical net security patches.

Reply to
gruhn

Because of this

Do not do this.

That stuff is much more stable on XP. And if it DOES break you don't have to be rebooting.

Reply to
gruhn

Yeah that's true but it is worth getting SP2 on it because a lot of SP2 is non net related stuff like help files, wizards, printing/scanning and other fixes. But like someone said, he could burn SP2 to disk and run/install it that way.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

OK, hence my asking.

Reply to