Re: Ping WW: post & beam.

> Of interest, there are Building Code reformers, maybe one can > eventually > build as they please on their own property, do we want that?

I thought California allowed owner-builder homes and that they had to be designated as such, which would affect the resale value and alert potential buyers that there might be some code discrepancies. That makes sense to me, but it also makes sense to not allow idjits to build stuff that will eventually cost other people money. Maybe some sort of required waiver that would prevent people from suing the municipality, fire department no longer will answer calls to that address, etc., but that's a quagmire of lawyers if there ever was one. Quagmires of lawyers are to be avoided.

RicodJour

Thanks, Ken. I'll put my laptop on hibernate for later reading.

It's out there of course, this code-questioning, even hereon it's been griped about over the years.

I hear what Rico's saying and agree that there can be compromises, perhaps far better than what there are, where things appeared overly skewed toward the govmonks'/lawmonks' advantages.

There's talk about 'peak oil', 'peak human p>

Warm Worm

Ken, what is your washroom setup in terms of water-source and blackwater disposal? What did you have to do to set it up?

Reply to
Warm Worm

How large is your rainwater catch basin and how much water do you typically use/need daily, separately for drinking, bathing and 'other' uses, such as watering the garden? What is your other water source? Municipal?

How do you catch the rain water and where/how is it held? I presume the septic tank is for all the blackwater afterward? What is a septic bed? Is that after the water has had a chance to "digest" in the septic tank? Where does the water go after that? Does it ultimately percolate into the surrounding soil or is it fed back into any municipal sewer system? What kind of restrictions might you have as to the amount of water you can use (that the system can take/absorb) as well as the kinds of soaps and chemicals, etc., you can use with your domestic water-usage?

Looking at my ACAD house, I have an idea for integrating a rainwater catch basin into its design:

realize it might be difficult to notice, but if you look at the upstairs mannequin and just across the upstairs entry hole that it is facing, you may notice a kind of small empty space that looks to be enclosed by whitewall. It's just above the bathroom. Well, there's another on the other side, as well as closet space in the middle... Well I was thinking that within that whole area, conveniently over the kitchen and bathrooms, and under the lower end of a shed roof, there could be an installed cistern that gravity-fed to the areas immediately below.

To limit potential contamination risk?

Does the application cover the cost of the actual survey? What's the total cost? Some properties are sometimes advertised as already surveyed.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I've heard of heavy water, but are you using "light water", Ken? ;)

WW, building a structure to hold a very heavy load on the roof or upper floor raises some issues. It's a low-tech solution, for sure, but there are others. Using the building height to build pressure (head) is fine, but it has limitations.

You could also look into a ground level, or lower, cistern and use solar power or a pedal-powered pump to raise water into a much smaller holding tank or pressure tank at the upper level.

RicodJour

Thanks, Ken.

Reply to
Warm Worm

That was my thought. Or iron posts in the area.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Simply supporting the weight is one of the easier issues to deal with.

RicodJour

I can imagine. :)

But let me guess; plumbing, coding, earthquake, wind, rooftop catchment logistics, integration within stucture itself, price, aesthetic tradeoffs... (?)

I lost a rental once a long time ago in a really nice place (attic in old house) when I let it slip to the landlord that I had a waterbed.

Reply to
Warm Worm

e:

This may be the actual house:

Warm Worm

Compromise, in this sense, means the property ownerss must give up something at the demand of the gov't drone whom gives up nothing and subsequently all of society loses.

This arrogant asshole....

L.A. County deputy District Attorney *David Campbell* told the paper that Fahey repeatedly ignored city officials' warnings that he was violating multiple municipal building safety and fire codes and thinks he is above the law.

....should be found, dismembered, along a country road in the Del Norte Redwood forest, soon.

Reply to
creative1986

Of what I can see in my neighbors yard about 300 yards across the way: A 30' red racing trailer, several sprint cars in various forms of disrepair, an old JD tractor, a large cage with about 5 Walker Coon hounds, a junked 1975 Nova, an 80's Ford truck 4x4 with no brakes, 3 horses, a rusty riding mower in the middle of the yard with 4' tall grass, and a bunch of unidentifiable things. Its his property and he gets to do with it as he chooses and no one else should have anything to say about it, in a free society like it seems around here. I don't understand why a certain specie of people like to stick their fat, pock marked noses into other peoples business. Are their own lives that bereft? Or is there brain retarded?

Reply to
creative1986

It's not possible for a code to prevent anything.

Codes are for incompetent people that ignore them. Like most laws that criminals ignore and non-criminals don't need.

It's coming, probably sooner that you expected. Beans, bullets & bandaids.

Reply to
creative1986

No. You do what they tell you because if you don't they will steal large amounts of money from you. They are not responsible for what they tell you. In a sane world you would hire a professional with proven experience to guide you. In the insane world you find yourself now you must do as told just because and if it fails, well, too bad - just reach in your pocket and buy another one, maybe you'll be lucky the 2nd time.

Reply to
creative1986

In my *Ultimate Off-Grid Crib* there is a 100 gallon tank installed

40' above the ground in a large tree. Using the water level principle, a pond on the otherside of the valley and higher than the tank will gravity it. From there the water will feed down into another 100 gallon tank in the attic of the crib then flow to the shower/toilet/sink below. A solar pump that can raise water 30' is pretty expensive and questionable. I looked at the converted bicycle/pump idea and thought it might be cool to use it to raise a heavy weight into a high tree with a rope and pulley and as the weight descended it would draw water from a source. Just playing around with ideas still but by next summer it will happen. Also experimenting with self made water purification - coiled rope in a PVC pipe. Lots of innovation in my UOGC.
Reply to
creative1986

Does water friction create heat?

Reply to
creative1986

Do rivers freeze?

RicodJour

Aside from all the freezing stuff, in say 70 degree temperature can moving water create friction heat? I've seen video of water under enormous pressure cutting steel but is it really cutting it or displacing it? From what I remember there was a slot in the path of the stream of water, so where did the steel go that was in that path? Were the edges of the slot hot from the friction of the water hitting the steel?

I broke a frozen PVC pipe that didn't even have water in it, twice.

Reply to
creative1986

ote:

Damn Canada's cold! -20F and it's early July.

RicodJour