Question from history student

Greetings,

I have a question regarding architectural plans which I hope this group can help me with?

I am a history student at Murdoch Uni, West Australia, and I am currently researching a building - the former Water Police Station and Quarters, Marine Terrace, Fremantle. Different authors credit the architectural design to either John Grainger (chief govt architect- Public Works Dept. at the time, 1903 - suffering ill-health) or Hillson Beasley (assistant-2IC). Both men were very talented and designed some significant West Australian public buildings. Hoping to solve this (with my limited architectural knowledge), earlier today I viewed the plans of the building at the State Records Office. They were not signed or attributed obviously to anyone, however, there was a mark-monogram in the lower left corner that appears as 'HB'. Do, or did government architects leave cryptic clues of their identity on their plans? I have tried, but cannot enclose a photograph of the mark, (can email it later?) - 03 is the year, but I do not understand

- Exd (executed by?): or the artistic Ws?

I am not suitably educated to compare styles of buildings designed by the two ...they all look lovely to me!

Anyway, I hope someone can enlighten me! The building is very impressive, 'Federation Free Classical style' and I think it is important that credit for the design is given to the right person (albeit posthumously) ...I am leaning towards Beasley, although 'authoritative' records credit Grainger?

Regards, Pat

Reply to
Pats359