Laminated beams?

How strong are laminated beams? Better than solid wood?

I have a 32' long laminated beam 24" deep about 12" wide sitting on

4x6 steel columns on each end.

After 35 years it "looks" ok and is holding up the exposed roof structure.

I am wondering if it would be ok to drill three holes through it to hang three heavy ceiling fans. Not sure I want to do that anyways but wondering if that is an option.

MC

Reply to
nmbexcuse

Depends on the load, location of the load, where/how drilled/how big the holes and the original beam's design load. Can you do it? Probably. No way of knowing for sure without more information.

RicodJour

Like streetcar.

Available in sizes and shapes you can't find in trees.

Which way, where and how big?

How heavy is heavy?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

strong are laminated beams?

Vertically, 24" long, to pass a threaded rod through with wiring inside to the bottom of it to which the base of the fan will be attached. I think the hole will be the size of a penny if not smaller.

Not sure of the fan weight, I would say 15-20 pounds.

Reply to
nmbexcuse

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1b6d52b0-8335-4879-89db-2e6ec51807e2 @i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

COuld you not hang them using cross-pieces attached to the rafters, as opposed to drilling into the main support beam?

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Kris:

It's a vaulted ceiling with 2" cedar deck and the space between the deck and roof is virtually inaccessible (very shallow). Here is the cross section with the beam shown in red. I was mistaken when I said it's 24"x12", I measured it real dimensions are 6.75" wide by 16" deep.

The exposed rafters resting on the beam on one end and 8" concrete block wall on the other end. The span of this beam is 30 feet long.

This is also the family room that I was asking about the doors on either side, plan view:

I cannot hang it on the cedar deck there is no way I can wire it.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Don:

I don't want to drill the beam, as a matter of fact, I am sure if I try to drill it the hole will not be at 90 degrees when it's done it will be like

86 degrees and the rod will be slanted. The beam size I mentioned in the initial post is incorrect, NOT 12x24, but 6.75" W x 16" DEEP.

I am confused by the backer plate. How is the backer plate going to be suspended? By the conduit that is off to one side of the beam? Will the backer plate also be off to one side? I cannot visualize what you mean.

Thanks,

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I did a quick calculation of a 6.75 X 16 glu lam beam with 2000 psi allowable stress for loading. The section modulus of this beam is 288 in^3. The span is 23 ft. This allows for 48 kip-ft moment worst case. the load per foot for a simple beam would be 726 lb/ft loading. If the tributary width/spacing of the beam say 10 feet this allows 73 lb/ft^2 loading. Roof loads by code is 20 lb/ft^2 ( no snow ). The beams appears to be quite strong and three fans at 20 lb each or 60 lbs is really nothing. I would contact the manufacturer to find out what the suggested installation will be for your condition and attach it to the beam accordingly.

Good luck...

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

Chuck: The span is not 23 it's 32ft. Does it change the picture? Thanks.

Reply to
MiamiCuse

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:loCdnSIkepQG-C_anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

I see, so crosspieces wouldn't work I guess - I was picturing somethign different (since I've never been in your house ). It was just a thought trying to avoid drilling into the support beam...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

This allows for 48 kip-ft moment worst case. the load per foot for a simple beam would be 375 lb/ft loading. If the tributary width/spacing of the beam say 10 feet this allows 37.5 lb/ft^2 loading. Roof loads by code is 20 lb/ft^2 ( no snow ). The beams appears to be strong and three fans at 20 lb each or 60 lbs is really nothing. I would contact the manufacturer to find out what the suggested installation will be for your condition and attach it to the beam accordingly. The beams appears to be quite strong and three fans at 20 lb each or 60 lbs is really nothing. I would contact the manufacturer to find out what the suggested installation will be for your condition and attach it to the beam accordingly.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck News

Thanks Chuck much appreciated.