desiging for a Haiti scale earthquake

Speaking of dogs. I have a female Cocker (Lady) that is the joy of my life along with her Brittany sister (Brandy). Every single time I enter the room she, the Cocker, will come racing to me and start smelling my right knee. She has done this ever since I first got her almost 10 years ago and does it to this day. Well about 3 years ago out of nowhere my right knee started coming out of joint and usually at the most inconvenient of times. Do you think she knew from way back then that something was wrong with it and did it somehow emit a different kind of smell only a dog could detect? (I name my dogs after 70's songs. My last dog was a boy and his name was Dustyn DaWynd.

Reply to
creative1986

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:a6c63e2e- snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Yep - our family dog always knows which part of me is on the blink. Seems to be something dogs are good at - even the medical profession is beginning to recognise it. Dog saliva is mildly antiseptic and is also astringent, plus helps blood coagulate. Mind you - it's a major job when I've been working on a car for a while ... On the other hand, the old car seems to go better with a bit of blood in it :-)

Reply to
Martin Clark

I'd think twice about that because they might have another use for any drawing tube you might have if that came within earshot.

I would also be cautious about putting a certain level of emphasis for some questionable notions/measurements of intelligence or making armchair inferences by distance on people's intelligence/type of thinking, etc., (or presenting a certain spin on your own logical modality.)

Dubious, unquestioning cultural acquisition of some notions can be devastating to some.

l pay the bills...

Or maybe brainwashed with a work ethic and to do one thing well? Work ethics seem more "required" when one has been reduced to specialization and theft of one's own land and/or resources, since we're speaking of pride of ownership.

"The work ethic has become obsolete. It is no longer true that producing more means working more, or that producing more will lead to a better way of life. The connection between more and better has been broken; our needs for many products and services are already more than adequately met, and many of our as-yet- unsatisfied needs will be met not by producing more, but by producing differently, producing other things, or even producing less. This is especially true as regards our needs for air, water, space, silence, beauty, time and human contact... the social process of production no longer needs everyone to work in it on a full- time basis. The work ethic ceases to be viable in such a situation and workbased society is thrown into crisis."

-- Andr=E9 Gorz, Critique of Economic Reason,Gallil=E9,1989

Unsure what your recent apparent preoccupation is with "neurological states", by the way, but I'll mention making some points some time ago on alt.arch about that if recalled. In short, intelligence is a complex thing that we don't really quite know a lot about. Your philosophical knowledge (70's?) may need updating. Lateral effort if you will. We have the world's greatest repository of knowledge right at our fingertips.

from another thread:

Through no lack of trying I presume?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Good.

will pay the bills...

There's a difference between working for something and working for "nothing" or worse.

Which is why I would caution for knowledge that is flawed or dated. There seems to be less sense in applying that kind of knowledge.

ish Literature...

The point about the apparent missing 'l' in "funky" and perhaps the irony in your writing (ie., "Mr. Spook" apparently instead of "Mr. Spock") vis-a-vis your contention about English literature and, as you say, what "drives kids to take drugs".

I also wonder if the habitual (creative) "dumbing down" or "smarting up" of English Composition can affect the author's thinking and reading over time. and if so, how. Does language influence thinking? Many logical folks seem to think so.

gs the mind like an intoxicant.

Adults too, it appears.

used for entertainment pleasure 2nd.

How about disciplined writing? When you write, you create literature.

There might indeed be a Mr. Spook to be found in the fog.

Reply to
Warm Worm

well will pay the bills...

English Literature...

Creativity, and then Artificial Conscious, also had to write a lot of contr= acts,

block diagrams' that are pretty much independent of linguistics.

Cool... AI's a pretty broad field and runs the gamut, being very cross- disciplinary by nature and necessity-- lateral as you might say. Some time ago, I was enrolled in a somewhat cross-disciplinary science/ sociology programme at Concordia University that touched on AI, among other things. I also did an essay then too about "terraforming" that I only just recently got around to copying from paper to laptop for an eventual rewrite and post to my site. I'll let you know if you'd like when. I also ran into an online forum that discusses its hypothetics. Good fun.

Incidentally, I also ran into some amateur astronomers in a mall parking lot of all places a couple of weeks ago and got to take a look through one of their telescopes of the moon. What a stunner. I could almost feel the fine dust in my hands. One of the guys impersonated a good Carl Sagan. Ever watched his Cosmos show?

t fogs the mind like an intoxicant.

and used for entertainment pleasure 2nd.

Well there you have it.

That five-ring circus? I'd rather go see one that admits it's one. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

ll will pay the bills...

Dated hell. That place has been a disaster from the beginning. Seems like just about everyone has experimented with it at one time or another. I just did a refresher course on its entire 6 centuries of history and something has been flawed there all along.

glish Literature...

My um, spelling, punctuation and written grammar have taken a steep downturn in the past few months and I don't know how to account for it. It started withn the first two letters of every sentence being capitalized and I've tried to slow down a little and let my keyboard catch up. (I have the same problem all the time, but with my mouse, in autocad - I click on a tool button and I'm back down on the screen trying to move stuff before the button even knows I was there...arrrrr) And lately I have letters all jumbled up in various words. So all I can do is reread the stuff and try to sort it out.

I think in german.

fogs the mind like an intoxicant.

I failed that stuff throughout school, never had much use for it.

d used for entertainment pleasure 2nd.

Is graffiti considered literature?

Reply to
creative1986

ial Creativity, and then Artificial Conscious, also had to write a lot of c= ontracts,

ng 'block diagrams' that are pretty much independent of linguistics.

I likes me sum negative feedback now and zen........

Reply to
creative1986

ial Creativity, and then Artificial Conscious, also had to write a lot of c= ontracts,

ng 'block diagrams' that are pretty much independent of linguistics.

Or on your own site. I did that with the catenary dome post, although I'm tempted to properly digitize an entire book, in part using optical character recognition software so that, among other things, the text becomes searchable.

If what I glimpsed of the moon is any indication.

I'd even be fine with a heterodyne parade.

What about fuzzy logic?

Seems to make sense. What do you think of the idea of letting AI programs loose online to learn, reproduce and evolve. Do you think that would be possible/feasible, and if so, what do you think of an emergent consciousness as a possible result? Maybe this is/has already being/been done.

scious ability of the neuro functioning of the brains A to D converter, whi= ch in turn is a form of intelligence exercise.

Unsure I quite understand that bit but it seems a little reductive. Then again, what happens when everything gets boiled down and we ultimately find out that what's left is pure consciousness/"nonsense"/ imagination/dreams/tarot-cards/religious belief/ESP/"idiocy"/etc?

Cool vacuum tubes. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

If you're connected to the net while doing all those things, maybe an emergent consciousness is trying to communicate.

But I kind of understand how you feel... In my case, I've lately been hitting some unknown key or key-combo that places my text-cursor somewhere else in the form field. It also messes with my mouse control and I sometimes have to "reset" it with my touchpad buttons.

Possibly some of it.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Hello Could we get back on topic of this tread ? Designing for Haiti ? what does that mean ? Please read again carefully the Ben Nassar and Warm Worm message above ! We have to think about simple sollutions and adequate intervention instead of following our own misconcepts about the world as it is constructed be the western mind ! Haiti is now filled with rubble , or lets call it Urbanit , hence we have to recycle the debris and provide the best sollution for the locals to use the available resources, not only concrete rubble and wood but also the sun and the specefics of the climate!

First of all this monstreous disater gives good opportunity to reshape the urban pattens and enchance the quality of life in the future. Some examples - wider alleys between teh traditional shacks, some small squares where the poor people could grow some vegetables - ideal will be this small gardens to be irigated by recycled grey water. about the climate : solar chimneys are easy to build and could provide draft for ventilation - both for living spaces and for compost toilets ( l

)

Houses : Small dwelings should be grouped to save on utilities in the beginnig

- later they could be supplied with adequate sanitary equipment and running water. Design should allow this kind of staging . Foundation walls could be build by on- site made gabions or earthbag technique or something simmilar utilizing the hard rubble. wood collumns could be made out of recycled wood in some boxed beam kind of sollution . I could go further with the design but I need some input from somebody who is phisiccally there to evaluate the availability of recources in the vicinity.

Basically help is needed to build sound structure with stable roof , elevated from the ground ( crawl space ) and let the people do the infill between teh structural memebrs in the way they want and with the means they could get for free . Something simmilar was done in chile :

Peace and Prosperity

Martin Mikush

Reply to
allilinin

By accident I found out that if I hit the *Insert* key in mid sentence it starts to delete the sentence as I write it. (I hit it by over shooting the Backspace key) It took me awhile to figure out what was going on. The solution is to hit the Insert key again to turn it off. WTF is it for anyway?

Anyway, I suspected I was low on Vitamins D & C and started taking supplements back in Nov when I got sick. I'm an outdoorsy person and I wear little in the way of garb when I'm out there so this cold weather is not good at all. Its about 18 degrees out right now and I'm wearing a t-shirt as usual but I'll be out in the sun less than 1 hour today and thats not enough vitamin D to get it, so I take the pill. The D is real small, about as big as 2 BB's and the C is giant, shaped like a football and about

1-1/4" long.
Reply to
creative1986

On Feb 5, 12:34=A0am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

When we homeschooled our son we bought a $300 telescope and saw the things you described and you are right. Pictures don't compare to the real thing. A picture is trapped in a 2d world but the telescope presents its image in 3d. You can see the *roundness* of the moon for example. That telescope was irritating because it was so accurate, so sensitive, that it took awhile just to set it up. I'm convinced that if you got seriously involved in that sort of thing you'd have to get a permanent setup, that is, set it up in one place and leave it alone. You couldn't line the scope up on the intended target for it was way too sensitive. Therefore it had a smalled scope on the top that you aimed the thing with. Once the smaller scope was on target then you got down to business with the knobs on the cables with the big dog and zeroed the whole thing in. And then some idiot bumps the leg in the dark and knocks the whole thing out of whack. Arrrrr....... We did some time lapse pix that came out pretty cool for amateurs. Locking the trigger on the Canon FTB SLR camera caused the scope to vibrate so I used an album cover over the scope lens to shield the image from the camera rather than remote camera trigger. We also bought a microscope in the same price range and looked at stuff going the other way. Again, pix don't compare. You'd be surprised to see whats in the rain water that runs off your roof. I looked thru the micropscope at 300 power aimed thru my 2nd set of glasses and saw the interior of a quark and it was scary man, like looking at gods sphincter.......

Reply to
creative1986

Where is the client in all of these assumptions, do they not have a say in any of this? What is the baseline, that is, from where are you starting your assumptions? For 600 years people have been making assumptions about the place and the people, like you are now, and after all is said and done you end up with impoverished people that are little more than slaves and nobody anywhere pays them any mind.

I saw the same thing in this group and elsewhere after Katrina, lots of ideas but little action. I designed 18 *hurricane proof* homes for the areas around the Katrina disaster area which are continuing to be built presently. What have you done?

**The words hurricane proof, in this context, have definitions that are custom made for a specific model that may or may not fit your preconceived notions.
Reply to
creative1986

Apparently bamboo can grow in Haiti (unsure how much of it is currently available); makes a good building material for many uses, (including reciprocal roofs?); can withstand many natural assaults (possibly including hurricanes); grows fast (tall and straight?); and I've just read that it might even be a treatment for some of their soil-erosion problems (which earthquakes may exacerbate?). It's also attractive and recyclable/renewable, etc.. Concrete indeed seems a bad idea from a few standpoints, including high embodied energy, pollution, recyclability and the already- mentioned concern for heat.

I'm not an architect, though, (I design with a leaning toward natural/ green/alternative/small/sustainable residential architecture) so perhaps any resident alt.architecture architects will chime in and correct/elaborate on some of this.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Take a look at that place on Google Earth, it is barren. Just about all of the vegetation has been scraped from the earth, right up to the border with the Dominican Republic. This of course attributes to the vast amount of erosion and ruination

- the whole place is sliding into the ocean one grain of sand at a time.

They could line shipping containers end to end all around the perimeter of that half of the island and then backfill them from ocean dredging to create a stablized environment. Then airlift thousands of containers and random drop them all over that barren wasteland and let the people do with them as they see fit. Also, they could D-9 vacated Detroit then scrape the whole pile up and drop it down there in Haiti too so they could use all that building material to set up their new shipping container homes in the style they only imagined and use the rest for out buildings and farming essentials. Oh yeah, also punch several thousand 4" dia holes all over the island and insert concrete cased 2" PVC pipes for wells and the water can be harvested with bicycle powered pump stations or better yet, used the working cars that were turned in for Cash for Clunkers last year as makeshift pumps.

The resources are all around its just a matter of having the proper minds to make it all happen and happen at little to no cost at all. Everything is already here, its just not in the right place and quantity.

Reply to
creative1986

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Haven't got around to finishing my shipping container project -

But it came out around $A 10,000 for '07 BCA specs Climate Zone 1 (Tropics) as owner/builder project, so maybe a lot less than half that for basic provision? Perhaps the 6 posts could be reduced to 4? SC forklifts only have 2 lifting rails, so posts could go at the lifting points.

With a bit of weight in them and/or reasonably anchored they don't turn over in a cyclone/hurricane.

Foil-batt insulation is in the roof space, internal wall panelling is recycled refrigeration liner. Could convert a ready-lined refrigeration container - ok in this climate with reasonable natural ventilation.

Reply to
Martin Clark

How fine? I tried to find 20/20 around here but had to settle for 16/18 and that stuffs big enough for a moturk to fly through at full speed.

to prevent no-see-ums

Both are trying to avoid the moisture in your crawl space. Eliminate all moisture and those guys will haul.

They have more experience than you have caulk.

Reply to
creative1986

snipped-for-privacy@o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Too small, go with the full 55' length version. Pack em in like Gunga Din.......

Spray 6" of foam all over the entire outside, even underneath, then shotcrete the shell and spray paint them a sand color. Cut an 6'x6'8" sliding glass door in each end, no windows anywhere, no full height interior walls so as to eliminate the necessity for egress windows, roof turbines every 8', 2" concrete internal floor (#4000 psi) with 1/6" per foot slope from middle to ends. Set the whole thing on 14" square x 28' long concrete pilings, one at each corner and 2 at mid point, anchor with 4" wide x 1/8" thick stainless steel strapping up and over at each pair of pilings. Anchor strapping to pilings with (8) .357 16d x 1" ramsets. It ain't goin' nowhere.......

Reply to
creative1986

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b35g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Maybe, but more difficult to transport/lift

Costing? Resilience?

what for?

I think the costs have blown out ...

The floors of these things are adequate - they are packing cases after all ...

A few years back in West Oz couple of dozen people took shelter from a Category 5 (80m/sec + winds) in a 20m/55' container. Must have been rough, but it didn't turn over and they all came out ok.

Reply to
Martin Clark

snipped-for-privacy@b35g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Maybe you and I are thinking about different types of shipping containers. My knowledge of them is limited. Those I've seen were basically thick sheet metal with corrugations. In a hot environment like Haiti they would become microwave ovens. Spray on insulation would be the easiest way to get the job done and the shotcrete would offer protection from insects and other creatures as well as flying debris during any future storms and the units themselves could be oriented in accordance with the prevailing winds so as to provide necessary air circulation from the end wall sliding doors.

You objected to the costs of my suggestion, but from the very beginning I brought up that topic and nobody further addressed it. We're talking about an island out in the middle of the ocean, inhabited by a group of people that don't have a pot to piss in and never did nor will they ever, and we're all dreaming in pixels out loud.

Reply to
creative1986