earthquake retrofitting

I am thinking of doing some earthquake retrofitting to my house. The house is post pillar foundation. i am going to bolt down the foundation and insta ll some straps.. I live in in SD and there is a fault roughly 7 miles from me. So I am thinking of reinforcing the studs Simpson straps. The walls are plaster so I am considering using a 10" hole cutter and then installing th em that way. Will probably use wood screws with a hex head so I am not forc ed to swing a hammer. Will also install Simpson ties in the attic from the top. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Reply to
Randall Shimizu

Lag screws, they're called. Right? Very useful. Home Depot has some, among other places.

Not me.

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 18:26:56 -0700 (PDT), Randall Shimizu wrote in

Looks like a good plan.

Reply to
CRNG

Sounds like a hell of a lot of destructive work. A 10" hole saw through plaster walls around the perimeter of the whole house? In South Dakota? For me the cost/benefit does not compute.

Reply to
trader_4

The house is post pillar foundation. i am going to bolt down the foundation and install some straps.. I live in in SD and there is a fault roughly 7 miles from me. So I am thinking of reinforcing the studs Simpson straps. The walls are plaster so I am considering using a 10" hole cutter and then installing them that way. Will probably use wood screws with a hex head so I am not forced to swing a hammer. Will also install Simpson ties in the attic from the top. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

-======== Will your insurance cover an earthquake? If not can you get coverage? Is your concern damage to teh house or that you might be killed? If it's damage to the house I'd just look for insurance coverage and forget retrofits.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Any chance he's in San Diego rather than South Dakota? Post pillar foundation sounds like warm-winter construction.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Randall Shimizu posted for all of us...

to swing a hammer. Will also install Simpson ties in the attic from the top. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations....?

Go to the Simpson site and/or DAGS and you will get all the info one needs. Simpson is innovative and has been through it all before and willing to share their knowledge.

Reply to
Tekkie®