Amber Room

Never heard of it before. Link to video:

Michael Bulatovich

Obviously.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

It gives me a headache - way too much going on visually... OTOH, a lot fo work and skill; I can appreciate it theoretically, but my first reaction is that ti seems kind of, well, tacky...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

So I was right! ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Perhaps along similar lines of 'the medium is the message', that room is its contents. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Unless there is some cultural connotation to the material, I don't understand the point of it, from the pictures at least. Maybe it's the visual 'depth', the way it worked with candle light. I dunno.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

THe Amber Room? It's just that the royalty collect more tax money than they had sense, and spent it on ostentious displays. Amber used to be considered a precious material, and IIRC, wasn't that more true of th Slavic nations than th European...? I can't recell corrctly... Anyway, they used to cover walls with velvet, silk, and gold, so why not amber?

OTOH, for all I know, they put up silk curtans in it and did weird things with static electricoty, who knows...

Reply to
Kris Krieger

I'll take your word for it. That makes it the usual "my branch is higher than your branch" monkey business.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Rosin is used on a violin bow, and a bunch of other things, but it is not made from amber. Amber is the fossilized sap, Rosin is made from present day tree sap, aka resin. On making rosin for violins:

RicodJour

Resin Man was a an invented childhood superhero who could shoot huge globs or quick-setting resin at evil-doers and trap them like insects in amber. He once had to save pregnant women from Abortion Man.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Wow! Its like being on the inside of a gilded box. It is a wonder anyone would want to be surrounded by so much, although as a ballroom it would provide quite a setting for a party! Don't you think amber would offer a special luster to the room, not achieved in any other way, which would not come across in the photographs? The nature of amber is different than other stones and would provide a unique effect, especially in conjunction with the exhaustive elaborate gilded carvings. It's not like one could/would encrust a room in diamonds, so it seems the amber provided a more feasible alternative. The detail is so elaborate and similar to mosaic patterns, therefore taken from a distance some details are lost. Being in the room could be quite a different experience.

This is a perfect example of what could be saved, for us and for future generations, in a virtual reality world, because after all, in a virtual world you can spend anything you want. :)

Reply to
Dezignaré

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Ever hear of Vitrolite? It was common Deco era stuff, and had a similar 'depth' but in many colors, large sheets, and mass produced. It's disappearing from our streets, but there's still some around. Onyx also has similar properties without being way toooooo expensive for the average baron of business. I've used it in their house interiors.

Some people would if they could...

You mean in a hologram?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

There's plenty of it in and on my home. Large portions of the exterior are clad as well as some interior areas. I really don't care for it. I can start looking dirty if not cleaned once in a while. The stones are a translucent white with amber viening. A little too Liberace for my taste.

Reply to
Secretia Green

I hear ya. My personal taste runs more towards the arts & crafts. Housing for the new rich isn't *always* a study in subtlety, you know. If you pick your pieces carefully though, it doesn't have to be *way* over the top...."not that there's anything *wrong* with that!"

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Reply to
Dezignaré

You mean on a monitor screen?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I mean with headgear, or in a pod of some kind, but there's no reason it couldn't be seen on a monitor. I just think the experience would be more lifelike the other way, where you could choose where you go and look up or down at will or peek around the corner. Have you ever done one of those flight simulator things in the mall? They strap you in a sling and put you in front of a screen, where you are able to fly anywhere in the "environment" you want. You grab the handles and go. It's pretty effective and tons of fun. You can fly along with other airmobiles between skyscrapers, scoop down into the caverns beneath the city or in another mode across the Grand Canyon into the sky.

Reply to
Dezignaré

Oh. You mean the HoloDeck! Deck seven, aft. Follow me......

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Arts & Crafts is also a favorite style of mine. I completely renovated a 1913 Craftsman bungalow in 1993. Loved it. I also like linear mid-century modern which. is what I am in now (steel, glass & stone late 60s). I am also a fan of mid-century Danish modern interiors. Like A&C, the Danish modern have hand crafted, natural materials but in a less formal, sculptural style. A few months ago I purchased a fine example DM dinette in Las Vegas. It was designed and produced by hand by Niels O. Moller in 1954. It's similar to set recently sold at auction for $9700. I bought it from a dealer who should have known better than to sell it to me for $350, score!

I have a sizeable photo collection of both A&C and MCM I've been sifting through, I may post a photo album when time permits.

Reply to
Secretia Green