After a two week vacation in Prague and Milan....

There's a good chance I'll probably retire in Prague.

Exceptional city- just beautiful.

Unbelievably, about 80% of the buildings in the historic center are restored. No sign of the flooding two years ago either.

Took 3000 pictures with the new Canon 350D; not a bad camera either. If anyone is considering it, I highly recommend it as a good quality 'prosumer' camera. On the down side, I'll be missing slide film....

Marcello (who missed Katrina in SE Florida)

Reply to
marcenmoni

Yeah, Prague was just amazing. Not a single facade looked like the next, but it all just fit together so beautifully. Did you get to see the castle? After our tour of Prague, we took a train to Berlin. It was one of the best train trips ever, and I saw a lot of beautiful buildings, and even a bridge I'd only seen in architectural books.

I didn't have such a good camera when I went, I hope someday to go back to Europe again.

Reply to
Night_Seer

url?

Reply to
gruhn

Figuring 5 seconds to compose, meter and take the shot, another 5 seconds walking about to get the angle you want, and 2 seconds per shot for overhead and profit...let's see...carry the 3...divide by 360...urp (sorry, too much Pepsi)...ends up to be 100 HOURS!

Even if it was a just 2 seconds a shot (can you say blurry?) that's still ~16 hours just clicking a camera.

How long was this trip??

RicodJour

7 days,..... and your math is wrong. 3000 x 7 seconds a shot is 21000 secs /3600 secs/hr = 6 hrs total.

(too much Pepsi is right)

Marcello

Reply to
marcenmoni

Yes, saw the castle. Seven day trip went roughly like so:

Arrived Friday night. Saturday- general walk around town to get oriented, up to Castle entrance and back to Old Town square (our hotel was 5 minutes away). Evening concert at Smetana Hall in the Obecni Dum (the beautifully restored Art Nouveau municipal 'house') Sunday- Castle: St. Vitus cathedral, Vladislav hall, St. George, Golden Lane, and a walk through Stare Mesto Monday- National museum most of the day (rain)- lots of geology, some paleotology, zoology and archeology; train station and walk to National theatre Tuesday- TV tower, Vinohrady district, Fred and Ginger, Jean Nouveau 'Angel' building +shopping center; royal gardens, Loreto, castle and parliament entry area, St. Nicholas Church Wednesday- Alfons Mucha museum, St. Agnes Museum (medieval to Renaissance Czech art), 1905 exhibition hall, Troja Palace Thursday- New town hall, river walk, Stare Mesto and Devil's brook area, Rudolfinium, Jewish Quarter (briefly) Friday- Jewish Quarter, Old town square- departure.

'Fred and Ginger' (Gehry building) basically sucked with respect to the unbelievable amount of well detailed turn-of-the-century eclectic and Art Nouveau buildings. Nouveau's shopping mall was straightforward and nothing special.

Marcello

Reply to
marcenmoni

It'll take some time. And I have to remember how to post to the website, which I haven't down in a while...... I'll try to get a few key ones up next week.

marcenmoni

Should read Jean Nouvel

Reply to
marcenmoni

Yep. The urp affected the calc by one order of magnitude! Never underestimate the power of gas. ;)

I remember having tons of time to take pictures when I was younger and wandering around travelling. Pictures and film cost money, took up space, etc. I think I never took more than ten rolls of film with me on a trip - ~360 pictures. Having the ability to take ten times that with no cost, no added weight and instant feedback...sure wish I could go back in time!

I remember taking a couple of rolls of pictures at Ostia Antica - great stuff, too. When I got the pictures back, I discovered that the camera's light meter was farpotshket. Two totally screwed rolls of overdeveloped pictures. AAAGGGGHHHH! Still hurts 25 years later.

RicodJour

I feel your pain brother. Lost a whole week in Rome once because my old 35mm was on the fritz. Didn't discover it until I returned These kids travelling overseas these days don't know how good they got it now with the toys available to them.

I remember studying in Spain in the early 90's and taking CASSETTE tapes with me for my tunes. What a beating and waste of space. I would have killed for my IPOD back then.

Reply to
Cato

On the flip side, I've mentioned that I had film confiscated in Italy by the Carabinieri many moons ago. I eventually got the film back from the US consulate's efforts. If that had happened now, the Carabinieri would have just pulled the card and/or deleted the contents. Guess I'm just lucky!

RicodJour

Wait, you didn't put in a factor for that camera ability to do multiple shots at 3fps.

Reply to
Night_Seer

This is what I use:

After its done "generating", its just a matter of uploading the album via ftp, and its done for you. Great little tool to get photos up to a site quickly.

Here's an example on my site:

Night_Seer

That's why you keep a 'plant' flashcard stored in your sock.

I just know the multiple times I travelled Europe while in school I seemed to be burdened by a bunch of 'crap', and then I compare it to a trip to Italy last year with my new 'toys'. I felt light as a feather. ;-)

Reply to
Cato