Yet ANOTHER use for WD40

WD 40, when used as a lubricant on something originally lubricated with grease, CAN remove the oil from the grease, leaving behind the "soap" (sodium stearate in some cases, lithium in others, plus a host of others)- which will cause mechanisms to stick.

As for electrical contacts - on sliding contacts like many automotive switches, and at low voltage and current, not likely to cause much problem - but any arcing in a switch with "oily" contacts WILL cause carbon build-up - which CAN cause high resistance, heating, and burning of contacts. High voltage and high current contacts must be CLEAN or lubricated/protected by an inert grease (dialectric grease) that will not burn and protects against corrosion.

Spray WD-40 (aerosol) has (or at least had) a flammable propellant, which, if used on an arcing contact - or in proximity to an arcing contact, CAN ignite - with rather spectacular result if, say, inside a distributor cap.

There are NO manufacturers that plackard their under-hood areas with prohibition against using WD40 under the hood. It is EXCELLENT for drying out damp ignition wires - even though there are better products, which help seal the wires against moisture for a longer time - but NEVER use "ignition sealer" - the plasticy coating if compromised at all, just traps moisture in the wire, making it worse - and impossible to dry out with WD-40 or anything else.

Reply to
clare

It does not stay on the contacts very long - and even there it CAN cause carbon build-up on the electrodes - which is blasted off by the next couple of "lightning strikes" - and is not a problem since the "electrodes" are not "contacts" - i.e. - they NEVER touch.

Reply to
clare

Many contacts DO corrode, depending on the environment. Brass sure can corrode - so can copper. However,arcing, and the associated transfer of metal, is a more serious problem - even with contacts of tungsten or platinum. (look at a set of ignition points that have been in service for an extended period of time in a standard "kettering" type system)

Reply to
clare

OF COURSE they want to sell that attribute. But ask an engineer if they'd use WD40 as a lubricant.

Next, you'll be telling me that Pepto-Bismal has no bismuth, and that Kaopectate has no kayolinite or pectin (it used to, but no more; actually, now Kaopectate IS Pepto-Bismal).

Jes- sayin' .....

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Had you allowed the solvent to dry a bit first...

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nova

/sawn

/sawn

None taken at all Leon. I do question the use of "we" though. Is not that either "poor Engrish" (you do know what is "Engrish", right?) or a presumption of the consumption by others??

Try this perspective on for size, Leon. I am bringing the World to your desktop. How's that? You have heard of the Internet? Ok.. I explain briefly. It is that place outside of the USA Intranet. The thing Al Gore invented and sold to you guys. Y'all bought a lemon, by the way. But at least it gave you guys access to the Internet

[seriously] Mate.. iff'n I had a buck for each "lingo lame" I have and do attract I could mount a takeover bid on Microsoft, no worries. Such trivia does not faze me one iota. An the fact that I explain this to *you* says you are on my "favorites list". Others are still wondering where their post went! /lmao

I aint changing a thing, Leon I am what I am, just as many are here to me I deal with the "strange ones" as I will. I follow the rules of Usenet, I subscribe to the Usenet ethos and I promote "free speech", where I do post. More than that is up to the reader, not I. Some help?

more Search Engines than Google and does not "hand feed" only American "stuff".

A quick scan of this site will tell you I am being very clear in *my* use of English.. for an Aussie poster:->

that said.. I have little to none trouble in figuring what you guys and the Kanucks are saying yet the reverse is always a problem for a great many from the Americas.. and not only with reading of Aussie "stuff", I would add.

cheers george

Reply to
George Watson

I guess I used the wrong word. "Corrosion" is a general term for "rotting" I was thinking of the term "rust". Not from the Griswolds... LOL.

Thanx for being so polite, OCD. It keeps the posts more honest and makes us educate ourselves in correct terminology.

-------------------

-------- On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:44:31 -0400, "Josepi" wrote: Contacts do **NOT** corrode. Contacts may tarnish being made from copper, brass, silver and gold.

Spraying it on electrical equipment to displace does not mean into the conductors. When you have water in your electrical conductors you have a bigger problem.

Reply to
Josepi

Ohhhh. the old slant six!

Had a gutless one of those, with a broken engine mount, once! It squealed the tires for 30 feet with both feet pushing the brake pedal through the floor.

I think it was the WD-40 the mechanic used on the engine mounts.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 05:59:25 -0700, Theodore Edward Stosterone But do NOT use the aerosol spray to displace moisture where arcing may occur. I learnrd that the "fast" way when I used it to dry out my distributor cap, and blew it right off when I tried to start the car. (1963 Valiant slant six)

Reply to
Josepi

Sounds like you had a thief mechanic trying to produce the need for work. Don't blame engine mount failure on WD-40, any oil will shorten the life of a rubber motor mount.

Reply to
Leon

that's what it was made for.

Reply to