WWII Update

Page 1 of 2
Hey All
I just heard from Jason that my WWII is defective and unsharpenable. He told me that the rake angle was almost reversed. They are going to give me a full refund. Now I have to decide what to do with my ~$100.
Chef
message

Buy 2 Freuds.

That's about right. Based on my experience, they're worth about half of what a WWII is.
todd
todd wrote:

And they cost half as much, so that works out perfectly. At least you get what you pay for with both of them.

Actually, they only cost about a third as much. You can use one while the other's being sharpened and still have enough left for a bottle of Bushmills Single Malt.

Notice that I say they were "worth" half as much, not that they cost half as much. Which would be fine except that they also cut about half as well, IMO.
todd
First of all, I'd like you to define "half as well". If the WWII produces a mirror smooth finish, what's your Freud produce that you define "half as good" - rough sawn lumber? Or are you one of those that tries to get your wood cut to a precision within millionths of an inch?
How many pro shops use WWII's (I know of at least four medium to approaching large that don't, personally)? Fascinating that they (pros) could increase their time and quality by a fairly small investment, but don't.
My point is that if you're tighter on money, I'm not sure the investment in the WWII is worth it. If you got more than you know what to do with, by all means blow it on the WWII.
And last but not least, the Oldham Signature Series produces a damn fine cut that is mirror smooth - and costs a tad more than 1/2 that of the WWII (or did when I got mine about a year or so ago).
Renata
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:33:26 -0600, "todd"

smart, not dumb for email
Renata wrote:

Me? Hell no. If it's only off by 1/32" I consider myself lucky, but my saw and fence are both seriously crappy. I doubt I could get the most out of a WWII either, and I'm not prepared to spend the cash to see if it would even be a better performer.
My Freud (TK960, thin kerf, I think 40 tpi) makes cuts that need a couple of light passes with a smoothing plane to clean up. Light saw marks mostly. Sometimes decidedly heavy saw marks, but much of that probably comes down to slop in the saw.

I define "half as well" as "not nearly as well". The WWII, which came with the saw when I bought it used, just plain cut smoother than the Freud I bought when the WWII needed sharpening. Like I said, this was IMO. YMMV. As for the production shops, maybe they have other interests than producing smooth cuts. Maybe what a Freud does is "good enough".
todd
I'm, of course, not referring to shops producing IKEA's stuff. Custom made and "custom" priced. ;-)
Have you tried, or seen the results from the Freud glue line blades?
Renata
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:34:17 -0600, "todd"

smart, not dumb for email

Production defined for high end (really high end, meant for million plus dollar homes) custom woodwork/furniture...not carpentry.
Renata

Don't worry about it. If they guy want to use a WWII, that's his perogotive. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with my 40.00 Freud. It gives me glue line rips every time. The only time I take a board to the jointer is when I'm trying to sneak up on perfect fit. It's a lot easier to take 1/64" off that it is to put it back on. Want me to tell you about the thin kerf Freud I got on Ebay for 5.00? The guy didn't have a sharpening service in his town and didn't want to be bothered with mailing it off so he just sold it. Cost me another 8.00 to get it sharpened.
Interspersed...
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:14:09 GMT, "PM6564"

NO!
So, here's the obligatory "You Suck", but in this case quite WELL DESERVED! Argh! GUess I oughta start scanning ebay.
Renata

he didn't want to mail it to a sharpening place, but he mailed it to you?

The world is full of people who make my framing hammer look smart.
people who make my framing >hammer look smart.
LOL! Spit my coffee on my keyboard. Hope you don't mind if I use it ;-) SH
You could get a Forrest WWII

I guess I should talk to them as well as I've had a WWII that I've not been happy with. Always burns on rip cuts even on soft woods like poplar.
I wonder how you could reverse the rake angle?
Gary

Uhm, buy another ww2? I like mine. SH