WWII Update

Hey All

I just heard from Jason that my WWII is defective and unsharpenable. He told me that the rake angle was almost reversed. They are going to give me a full refund. Now I have to decide what to do with my ~$100.

Chef

Reply to
Master Chef Richard Campbell

Buy 2 Freuds.

Reply to
A Dog Named Stain

You could get a Forrest WWII

Reply to
Leon

I guess I should talk to them as well as I've had a WWII that I've not been happy with. Always burns on rip cuts even on soft woods like poplar.

I wonder how you could reverse the rake angle?

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Uhm, buy another ww2? I like mine. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Tell them NO rebate refund. You want TWO new blades. That is a pretty bad screw-up.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Oh, the saw blade...from the subject line I thought the French had surrendered again! :)

"Master Chef Richard Campbell" wrote in news:c8vqb.13535$ snipped-for-privacy@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Jim

That's about right. Based on my experience, they're worth about half of what a WWII is.

todd

Reply to
todd

I agree! They'd probably rather give you two blades than the cash anyway. It keeps you as a customer and you end up with a better deal than you started with (to offset your hassles). Seems like a better win-win deal than getting your money back.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

If it's WRONG, why not try one that's made correctly?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Care to give advice for how I can get this popcorn dislodged from the inside of my nose?

At least I didn't spill my drink. Lucky for you.

Reply to
Silvan

And they cost half as much, so that works out perfectly. At least you get what you pay for with both of them.

Reply to
Silvan

Actually, they only cost about a third as much. You can use one while the other's being sharpened and still have enough left for a bottle of Bushmills Single Malt.

Reply to
A Dog Named Stain

Plus the chance to sharpen two blade rather than 1. ;-) SH

Reply to
Slowhand

much. Which would be fine except that they also cut about half as well, IMO.

todd

Reply to
todd

First of all, I'd like you to define "half as well". If the WWII produces a mirror smooth finish, what's your Freud produce that you define "half as good" - rough sawn lumber? Or are you one of those that tries to get your wood cut to a precision within millionths of an inch?

How many pro shops use WWII's (I know of at least four medium to approaching large that don't, personally)? Fascinating that they (pros) could increase their time and quality by a fairly small investment, but don't.

My point is that if you're tighter on money, I'm not sure the investment in the WWII is worth it. If you got more than you know what to do with, by all means blow it on the WWII.

And last but not least, the Oldham Signature Series produces a damn fine cut that is mirror smooth - and costs a tad more than 1/2 that of the WWII (or did when I got mine about a year or so ago).

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

Me? Hell no. If it's only off by 1/32" I consider myself lucky, but my saw and fence are both seriously crappy. I doubt I could get the most out of a WWII either, and I'm not prepared to spend the cash to see if it would even be a better performer.

My Freud (TK960, thin kerf, I think 40 tpi) makes cuts that need a couple of light passes with a smoothing plane to clean up. Light saw marks mostly. Sometimes decidedly heavy saw marks, but much of that probably comes down to slop in the saw.

Reply to
Silvan

I define "half as well" as "not nearly as well". The WWII, which came with the saw when I bought it used, just plain cut smoother than the Freud I bought when the WWII needed sharpening. Like I said, this was IMO. YMMV. As for the production shops, maybe they have other interests than producing smooth cuts. Maybe what a Freud does is "good enough".

todd

Reply to
todd

I'm, of course, not referring to shops producing IKEA's stuff. Custom made and "custom" priced. ;-)

Have you tried, or seen the results from the Freud glue line blades?

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganator.family.lan:

Sorry about that. From now on I'll try to give fair warning....

Reply to
Jim