WW Christmas present

On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper

Figure in the cost of some decent wood that won't warp or split, the time it will take design the log variations you want, the time to make each log, at infinitum.

Unless you're going to get a decent amount of pleasure out of making all these similar type logs *and* you've got a child that will get pleasure out of using them, you have to wonder if it will just be to be less aggravating to buy a set.

Reply to
none

Unfortunately that is the way it is for many wood working projects. Considering the cost of materials and the time for creation, vs the cost of the similar item it just is not cost effective.

The reward of doing it your self, is a consideration, but when considering how I could use the time in other ways usually it is not practical to make things my self.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

You reminded me of a time when I was eight yo or so (~1947) and living in Yankton, SD. My buds and I were heavy into war games (at that age, war is an adventure, not a do and/or die situation). There was an abandoned farm behind our house with a barn full of all sorts of neat stuff including boards of varying size. Building tanks and fighter planes was easy; a couple of boards nailed together with more nails for guns and rockets.

I decided I needed an aircraft carrier. A bit more complicated but once a deck board of sufficient length and width was liberated and nailed to some hull boards, voila. Had lots of winter time battles in the basement of our house. A long time ago in a place far, far away.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper

In my case, I had my 1962 vintage Lincoln logs in storage and when it was time for my kids to use them I fulfilled my own childhood fantasy of having

100s more of them by making 100s more of them. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:51:10 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

I was a Meccano kid. I remember when one of the kids living across the street showed me his new Lincoln logs. I played with them for a bit and then went back to my Meccano. ;~)

Reply to
none

Are you sure you're in the right group? :-)

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I am in the right group, there are other things that there is no way to go but convert some decent boards to sawdust.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle