WW Christmas present

Page 2 of 2

I wonder how hard it would be to make decent lincoln logs. It doesn't look hard, but sometimes that's where I get into trouble. :-)
It looks easy enough: Cut a dado in the end of a piece of cedar (I'm thinking cedar because it's soft and doesn't splinter too bad and I've got some) and cut into square strips. I guess the trick comes in removing 1/2 of the board thickness, or just a few thousanths over so the pieces will interlock.
Octagonal ones can be made either with a router (a 3/4x3/4 strip is kinda thin) or hand plane (my choice.)
How did the lincoln logs do roofs?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper

Figure in the cost of some decent wood that won't warp or split, the time it will take design the log variations you want, the time to make each log, at infinitum.
Unless you're going to get a decent amount of pleasure out of making all these similar type logs *and* you've got a child that will get pleasure out of using them, you have to wonder if it will just be to be less aggravating to buy a set.

Unfortunately that is the way it is for many wood working projects. Considering the cost of materials and the time for creation, vs the cost of the similar item it just is not cost effective.
The reward of doing it your self, is a consideration, but when considering how I could use the time in other ways usually it is not practical to make things my self.
On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:47:56 -0500, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Are you sure you're in the right group? :-)
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 12/3/2013 1:09 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I am in the right group, there are other things that there is no way to go but convert some decent boards to sawdust.
wrote in message
On 03 Dec 2013 13:23:03 GMT, Puckdropper

In my case, I had my 1962 vintage Lincoln logs in storage and when it was time for my kids to use them I fulfilled my own childhood fantasy of having 100s more of them by making 100s more of them. ;~)
John
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:51:10 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"

I was a Meccano kid. I remember when one of the kids living across the street showed me his new Lincoln logs. I played with them for a bit and then went back to my Meccano. ;~)