WW Christmas present

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making 'em! ; )

Bill

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Reply to
Leon

What's the name of this group? Why buy them? Make them!

Reply to
willshak

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:11:11 -0600, Leon

Yup. Mine was Meccano. They stopped making it for a long while (I think) but now it's in the present day technology version.

none

Gave the oldest granddaughter a set for Christmas when she was six. She spent hours building with it. She was sometimes so engrossed in her designing that she didn't notice me on the floor taking pictures at her eye level - I think I hit the bullseye with that gift ;-)

Another year each granddaughter got a kit of kid-sized tools and a birdhouse to build.

Can't guarantee that they'll grow up to be builders/makers, but they have a good start.

Bill wrote:

Reply to
notyoung

Yes, I liked the errection set.

Reply to
G. Ross

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Reply to
krw

That came ten years later.

Reply to
krw

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

Reply to
Bill

I always thought Lincoln Logs were boring. We had blocks that used to be radio crystal cases (about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/4") in WWII. I We must have had 10,000 of them that my father got from scrap. My brother built a "model" of the Empire State Building that was about 9' tall. Great fun.

I had the most fun with the Tinker Toys. I had a bunch of them, too. I had a small Erector set but they were too expensive. Legos came too late. Well, they weren't for my son. "Lego my Legos" ;-)

Reply to
krw

... Made in China .. Lee Valley sells a Made in USA version.

John T.

hubops

---------------------------------------------------------------- Well, let's see the pictures! You can't tease us with a cute description, then not follow through!

Reply to
Morgans

I don't know where you live but "Bed Bath and Beyond" had them last year. I don't know about this year as Thanksgiving is just over and I have not started Christmas Shopping yet

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Gifts that bring you together to play - priceless ! < regardless of the material outcome > One of our favs - with our kids - was a wooden train set - (Scandanavian ? ) where the train cars had magnets on each end and the all-wood track pieces fit together in a round-tongue-hole .. we expanded the set, each year at Christmas - and it all neatly packed away in a vintage Thrift Store valice ? mini suitcase .. ... getting everything into the case became a fun game eventually ! John T.

hubops
< snipped >

I seem to remember the meccano/erector sets were - - quite expensive - back in the day.. .. then when shopping for my kids - Lego seemed expensive ! .. but it was still there, under the tree, at Christmas.

... but I do get a little peeved at Chinese Lincoln Logs ! John T.

hubops

I remember liking Lincoln Logs at an earlier age, then Tinker Toys, and then Erector Sets. As I grew I wanted something more difficult.

Now I have a whole woodworking shop. And when I want something more difficult than that I go play with computers and electronics. My latest toy is an Arduino Mega micro-controller. The possibilities can be imagined when you know that people use them in robots :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Different dollar and a different society. I've certainly have had a lot more discretionary income than my parents ever did (even considering that my father died when I was 12).

They know what plastic is. Have they seen a tree? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nice memories, but $48 (w/shipping) for 86 pieces? You're gonna spend $200 to get a decent size set!

Reply to
Just Wondering

And it's 250 pieces for roughly the same price as the 86 piece set.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Just Wondering wrote in news:529d39c1$1$47840 $ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

I wonder how hard it would be to make decent lincoln logs. It doesn't look hard, but sometimes that's where I get into trouble. :-)

It looks easy enough: Cut a dado in the end of a piece of cedar (I'm thinking cedar because it's soft and doesn't splinter too bad and I've got some) and cut into square strips. I guess the trick comes in removing 1/2 of the board thickness, or just a few thousanths over so the pieces will interlock.

Octagonal ones can be made either with a router (a 3/4x3/4 strip is kinda thin) or hand plane (my choice.)

How did the lincoln logs do roofs?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper