WW Christmas present

Page 1 of 2

I was just thinking about these yesterday. Glad they are still making 'em! ; )
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 12/2/2013 7:53 AM, Bill wrote:

Yeah, and my all time favorites, Tinker Toys and the Erector Sets

Yup. Mine was Meccano. They stopped making it for a long while (I think) but now it's in the present day technology version.
http://www.meccano.com/
Leon wrote:

Yes, I liked the errection set.
--
 GW Ross

 I plan on living forever. So far, so

That came ten years later.

Agreed but Legos pretty much killed them. It's pretty easy to see why.

Tinker Toys-NO, Erector Sets-YES, Lincoln Logs-YES, Legos--BOO! ; )

I always thought Lincoln Logs were boring. We had blocks that used to be radio crystal cases (about 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 3/4") in WWII. I We must have had 10,000 of them that my father got from scrap. My brother built a "model" of the Empire State Building that was about 9' tall. Great fun.
I had the most fun with the Tinker Toys. I had a bunch of them, too. I had a small Erector set but they were too expensive. Legos came too late. Well, they weren't for my son. "Lego my Legos" ;-)
< snipped >

I seem to remember the meccano/erector sets were - - quite expensive - back in the day.. .. then when shopping for my kids - Lego seemed expensive ! .. but it was still there, under the tree, at Christmas.
... but I do get a little peeved at Chinese Lincoln Logs ! John T.
--- ---
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 18:06:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Different dollar and a different society. I've certainly have had a lot more discretionary income than my parents ever did (even considering that my father died when I was 12).

They know what plastic is. Have they seen a tree? ;-)
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 14:38:02 -0500, Bill wrote:

I remember liking Lincoln Logs at an earlier age, then Tinker Toys, and then Erector Sets. As I grew I wanted something more difficult.
Now I have a whole woodworking shop. And when I want something more difficult than that I go play with computers and electronics. My latest toy is an Arduino Mega micro-controller. The possibilities can be imagined when you know that people use them in robots :-).
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Bill wrote:

What's the name of this group? Why buy them? Make them!
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 12/2/2013 7:43 AM, willshak wrote:

in Yankton, SD. My buds and I were heavy into war games (at that age, war is an adventure, not a do and/or die situation). There was an abandoned farm behind our house with a barn full of all sorts of neat stuff including boards of varying size. Building tanks and fighter planes was easy; a couple of boards nailed together with more nails for guns and rockets.
I decided I needed an aircraft carrier. A bit more complicated but once a deck board of sufficient length and width was liberated and nailed to some hull boards, voila. Had lots of winter time battles in the basement of our house. A long time ago in a place far, far away.
mahalo, jo4hn
Gave the oldest granddaughter a set for Christmas when she was six. She spent hours building with it. She was sometimes so engrossed in her designing that she didn't notice me on the floor taking pictures at her eye level - I think I hit the bullseye with that gift ;-)
Another year each granddaughter got a kit of kid-sized tools and a birdhouse to build.
Can't guarantee that they'll grow up to be builders/makers, but they have a good start.

--
Android Usenet Reader
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
"notyoung" wrote in message

---------------------------------------------------------------- Well, let's see the pictures! You can't tease us with a cute description, then not follow through!
--
Jim in NC

Gifts that bring you together to play - priceless ! < regardless of the material outcome > One of our favs - with our kids - was a wooden train set - (Scandanavian ? ) where the train cars had magnets on each end and the all-wood track pieces fit together in a round-tongue-hole .. we expanded the set, each year at Christmas - and it all neatly packed away in a vintage Thrift Store valice ? mini suitcase .. ... getting everything into the case became a fun game eventually ! John T.
--- ---

... Made in China .. Lee Valley sells a Made in USA version. http://www.leevalley.com/en/gifts/page.aspx?ph035&cat=4,55972 John T.
--- ---
On 12/2/2013 3:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

On 12/2/2013 8:53 AM, Bill wrote:

I don't know where you live but "Bed Bath and Beyond" had them last year. I don't know about this year as Thanksgiving is just over and I have not started Christmas Shopping yet
On 12/2/2013 6:53 AM, Bill wrote:

Nice memories, but $48 (w/shipping) for 86 pieces? You're gonna spend $200 to get a decent size set!