Wow! Bright walls.

Page 2 of 2

Time to get rid of the steps, and put in a ramp.
It's ADA-mandated, anyway. To deal with your handicap.
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 07:05:21 GMT, Dave Balderstone

A) Send all your money to me. (Got my address?)
B) I'll pray for you in my own special way.
C) Pray for Salvation Without Religion.
No, no, no. Wipe up that drool. I said "salvation", with only one "i".
And you really ought to stop talking with the troll.

All my walls are insulated but I still don't have a ceiling up. Once I do, I'm going to re-enact the old Cheers episode where Norm painted Sam's office in 3 seconds flat...
PM6564 responds:

Missed that episode, but...make sure you use painter's film for the tool cover, cut-off areas you don't want painted, etc. Stuff is 14' wide, very light, cheap, comes in boxes with, I think, 250' rolled up (PITA to open wide because it's so light, but otherwise great).
You really will not believe the difference in lighting. I haven't done my shop walls yet, but upon my return to VA, that's near the top of the list. The ceiling paint made so much difference it's like adding 6 or so banks of fluorescent light.
I used a semi-gloss white, which the OSB ceiling turned into more of a satin, even after 3 coats.
Charlie Self
"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:20:27 GMT, "PM6564"

How do you do that? Set off a small explosive charge in the middle of a bunch of paint filled ballons? Use a firehose to spray paint?
Lazarus Long asks:

More like the fire hose. Rent a pro capacity airless sprayer. 1200 sf of ceiling, 3 coats finished in 8-9 hours, about 2-1/2 of which was actual painting time.
Charlie Self
"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers

I think it was the day he couldn't find the drill, for the paint-stirrer. and chucked it in the 3-1/2 hp router, instead. "Soft-start" took care of the varying distances.

Reminds me of an episode of Mr. Bean. He did exactly that... used an explosive charge to paint an entire room at once.
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net says...

Do yourself a favor and don't wait; do it now.

I did the insulation wallboard thing this summer and finished about a month ago. You are going to also find that the bright lighting actually really does affect your mood as well as just make things brighter. I have always enjoyed the shop, one of the reasons I didn't insulate this shop sooner was that I wanted to be doing things shortly after we moved in 4 1/2 years ago. However, now that the shop is so much brighter, I find myself actually happier when in the shop.

What he said.

4 1/2 years? Is that all you waited? I've lived in the same house since 1980. I looked and looked and looked until I found one that had a 3 car sized garage, so I could build a decent home shop. Well, I'm finally getting around to it. Its the result of being a road warrior consultant, don't you know? I can hardly wait to retire.
I read the posts here about white walls and insulating and I'm definitely going to make that a high priority.
Thanks for the post.
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

beer, supply the Que .... Where in Cn are you? Hank

I'm in Putnam, CT I thought about taping, but I figured it is a garage, not my living room so drywall itself is extravagant compared to what was there. Some of the seams will be covered with pegboard, shelves, etc. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I gotta agree with Hank. As I've been sheetrocking sections of my garage, I just do a quick tape job. Got the adhesive fiberglass mesh drywall tape, and give it a "quick" cover with some mud. Doesn't even have to cover it 100%. Just enough to seal it up. then hit it with your single coat of primer.
Something about taping the seems (even a crappy tape job), makes it feel finished.
-David
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

painting it just makes sanding a PITA. Do you have a detached garage? Most codes require an in the dwelling garage to be taped. Sorry about Cn. (meant Ct., honest.). Hank

Detached. That makes it harder to heat, thus the insulation. I don't think there are code issues, but did use EPS foam insulation that in a home requires to covered with sheetrock, but mostly because it just looks better this way.
I've not done anything for a ceiling yet. One half has a couple of sheets of OSB over the 2 x 6's where we store some stuff. The other half has nothing. It would help to cover that also, but if I make a true insulated ceiling, then I get into ventilation of the "attic" space.
I bought some white plastic sheeting with fire retardant to use as a vapor barrier. I've thought of just stapling that on the joists as a heat holding barrier but I don't know if it will make it worse in the summer. Ed

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Not taping is his right, of course, but mudding and taping isn't just cosmetic. It serves to reinforce the edges of the sheet, preventing the sheets from cracking when put under tension. Anyone who has hung drywall has had the drywall crack off a bit while being fastened to the stud at the edge: mud and tape makes that much less likely.
And if you don't care about cosmetics, a quick single application of mud-and-tape and some sanding isn't all that difficult.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor snipped-for-privacy@primenet.com