Wouldn't it be nice..

Page 3 of 3

Or if people took the time to label OT posts with "OT" in the subject line?
Yeah, that would be nice... In fact, the phrase "common decency" springs to mind for some reason.
djb
--
One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
David:

Knowing what I know now, yes.
By the way, get back to me on this as soon as possible.
Unisaw A-100

You're probably expecting too much. FWIW, I try to follow up any thread that I originate or post in at all, but it's the busy season at work right now, and sometimes I put in 14 hour days. When that happens, it's kind of hard to remember to follow every damn thing I ever looked at on Usenet. Common courtesy is great, but don't get too hung up on it if someone doesn't gush over a one line "Do A Google Search" reply. It could be that they've got a sick kid at home, or an eighty-hour workweek, or even got abducted by little green men. Hell, anything could have happened. Maybe they already found the answer, and they're busy working on that rush project they posted about.
The only way to keep the group healthy is to share what you can when you can, and let the little shit roll off you. It's nice to get validation for your response, sure- but if you don't, why loose any sleep over it? Look at it this way- it's going into the archives, and you could helping someone a dozen years from now, and maybe *they* are going to be up to whatever standards you expect from a usenet citizen. Lots of folks are lurkers- you're helping them too, even though they're too shy to jump right in and speak. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Amen!
It is even more important to keep contributing than to offer validation. Contributions offfer something to everyone (lurkers and posters alike), the latter is really only useful for one person and is chaf for the rest.
(And yes, I realize that this post is arguably in the later category)
-steve

With all due respect for your sensibilities and your wishes for a "kinder, gentler" world, has it occurred to you that the information/advice you may have given might not be what a poster was looking for. I don't always feel motivated to thank someone for what might be, to me, worthless advice. Good intentions aside. Another thought comes to mind; have you considered getting a dog. If you keep some dog biscuits in your pocket the dog will give you almost undivided attention which seems to be what you're looking for. Another poster suggested that you "lighten up". Don't take it personally. Advice offered with good intentions of course.
Max D. These golden words of wisdom are offered freely and without any expectation of recompense or gratitude.
Thank you. I have a dog already. Thank you.
Thank you.
Dave
Max wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do it though. We really appreciate it. Well, I do, anyway, I should not speak for others here. They should take the time to thank you individually. I know you expected no recompense, but the fact is, you took the time. Not everyone on USENET bothers to take that time to help others. You did and should be thanked. Just a guess, but if everyone took the time to properly thank you, motivation to help others would be increased and the kindness would spread. The internet would be a kinder and gentler place and you would be able to take credit for it. Not that you would since you are a humble person, but deep down, we know it was you and you do deserve the credit.
Well, got to go now. The dog is here looking for another biscuit.
Thanks again. I appreciate it. Your words will live on forever in Google archives.
Damn, that dog is a PITA and is really waiting for the biscuit.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Another reason I take my morning humor here.
Thank you oh gentle soul I truly enjoy reading your posts -- I seek them out.
You and Watson and Robatoy and Jacques among others. You make my day guys. A gentle thank you.
:-)
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Who dat? Cousteau?

At LEAST you could spell our names correctly.
P.S: Jewelcome.
======================================================== Save the Whales + http://www.diversify.com Collect the whole set! + Website design and graphics ========================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

awww chucks, you lug, you..*soft punch on the shoulder*
I certainly was raised with manners, however, in exchange for a formal "thank you" I'd gladly accept the poster of the question I answered sharing their project on abpw with comments about which method worked the best for them. I'd say most newbie projects are, or at least partially, the result of a "team effort" of ideas instilled in them by a number of more experienced woodworkers in this group. The best "thanks" a person could give me personally is by helping fellow wood workers acheive their goals by offering their knowledge when the time arises. Simply thanking someone doesn't keep the knowledge moving. However, if one felt the need to thank the group, maybe do it in a follow up post of what method worked the best and why, therefore returning something to the group. --dave
wrote in message

Hear, hear!
Dave Jackson wrote:

I was raised with none, but I still agree with you. You make a lot of sense.
Best wishes.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Hello BAD. Nice troll. Missed you.
BAD... if that is you - a tip o' the hat!
Bob S.

He always knew where the hot buttons were, and never hesitated to stomp on them. He caught a bunch'o them this time.

been a busy boy lately. can't really keep up with the wreck I started a thread about varnish and got some replies but for a variety of reasons couldn't reply right away. if that's indecent, well too bad.