Workshop Uses for Garbage Disposal?

I have a "new" garbage disposal (a cheapo Insinkerator Badger1 that I got during a white goods pickup recently) that I don't want to install in my home (we're on a septic, and we've been fine without one since we moved in), and it really isn't worth the effort in trying to sell.
I've done a search on the rec for some ideas, but I was wondering if anyone had any others. I'd especially be interested in opinions on if it can effectively be turned into a mini lathe. I assume the motor is a TEFC induction motor, (advertised 1/2HP), so I don't think I could just install a "dimmer" type switch to regulate the speed.
The other ideas I saw mentioned here were:
1 - Stone/glass grinder 2 - Sharpening system base
So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing down my garbage can?
Thanks!
-Nathan
N Hurst wrote:
> So to what useful purpose can I put this thing other than weighing > down my garbage can?
None.
It has an intermittent duty motor.
Lew

None. I think its a waste of time. The motor is a single purpose intermittent duty motor and certainly not a TEFC motor.
Bob

Keep in mind that other than intermittent use, most come with instructions to not run the motor unless the water is running.

Thanks, yall, for the replies. I'm still learning about all the different kinds of motors our there. I guess I'll have to keep my eye open for another junky table saw like the one I found and gave away a year or so ago. Or I could save up for a couple of months and buy a real lathe, but where's the fun in that?? <g>
Leon, I think they say to run water when running the disposal because otherwise all the ground up gunk would never leave the disposal, and just sit there and rot. I don't think it provides any service to the motor or anything like that.
I'd check the manual, but this one didn't come with one. :-)
-Nathan
"N Hurst" wrote in message

Most GD's benefit from, if not require the water as a coolant for any long term use/longevity. Just try running most models without the water flowing for any length of time and you'll quickly see this is the case.
I routinely disable/unplug newly installed GD's in new houses because of this very reason. Electricians are famous during trim out for firing up a circuit without checking to see if any appliances are attached and "on" and this is guaranteed to either fry a newly installed GD when no water is running, or cause the thermal protection switch to trip within minutes.
While the newer GD models have thermal cutoff switches, this was not always the case and it was easy to burn out a motor quickly with no water running.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/05/diy_margarita_m.html
although that should be for after you are *finished* in the workshop.
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,